[2] Bratty Acts

Walking up the school steps with Tristan, we held hands tightly as we entered the building. The weekend had rolled past quickly and it was back to another bland Monday, which I wasn’t looking forward too. The only upside to it being another Monday was in just one more week the pageant was going to be held, Luna having also entered, was just as excited. But I guess in some ways, not in snotty ways, but in some ways I knew she didn’t take it seriously.

                As Tristan and I slowly made our way down the long hallway towards the lockers we saw a large group of students, surrounded at the end of the pod. I looked up to Tristan who meant my gaze as well and raised an eyebrow. I shrugged and we both began walking over to the group of students.

                I spotted strands of Luna’s blond hair at the rim of the group and pulled Tristan along towards the clump and tugged on Luna’s shoulder. She glanced over her shoulder, then spun around as she noticed who it was.

                “What’s going on?” I questioned, trying to stand on my toes to get a glance of what-ever the crowd was swarming around. “There’s a new student,” Luna replied to me. I ran a hand in my hair as I looked back and forth between Tristan and Luna, not quite understanding. “So? What’s the big deal?” I asked, Tristan’s facial expression mirroring mine as we both looked at Luna for help.

                Luna just groaned and grabbed my wrist, making her way back to the students and began, rudely shoving past them. Many people shoved back or commented on Luna’s manners but Luna never cared. I pulled Tristan along behind me and then stumbled forward to a blank area. The students surround me and formed almost a gate, not taking a step back nor a step forward. I looked to Tristan who’s gaze was off of me and he was nearly drooling. I whipped my head around and then spotted the tall Brunette he was eyeing.

                My gaze snapped back and forth between the young beauty next to me and Tristan who’s mouth couldn’t make it more obvious. I finally elbowed Tristan in the side and he snapped out of the trance he was in and shook his head around. “Yeah?” he asked innocently, looking at me, still taking a glance at the Brunette. “Stop looking at her!” I hissed, taking his hand roughly and began trying to shove my way back through the crowd. “Laura, wait!” I heard Luna call from back out of the crowd. I turned around so I could look at her and raised an eyebrow. “You’re not being very nice… At least say hi to Vanessa!” Luna growled, standing next to ‘Vanessa’ who obviously towered over her.

                I shot Luna a plastered smile and dropped Tristan’s hand, making my way over to the life sized Barbie doll. “Hello” Vanessa greeted, with a hint of a German accent as she stuck out her hand. I looked down at her hand, back up at her face, and then down again. Putting my hand lightly against her I shook her fingers, trying to make as little contact as possible. “I’m Vanessa, I moved here from Berlin, Germany” she added, smiling sweetly down at me. Rolling my eyes I finally took my hand away from hers, making it noticeable as I rubbed my hand against my jeans. “Sorry, did I ask you?” I asked sourly, raising an eyebrow. Vanessa gave me a confusing look and looked over to Luna with a now sad expression placed on her face. All the boys awed in sorrow behind me and I groaned in disgust, making my way out of the crowd of people, passing Tristan as I stormed down the hallway.

                ‘I was the one boys fought over, I was the one they gawked over. Not some girl named Vanessa or whatever. She even had Tristan, MY boy-friend eyeing her. She can’t just waltz herself into this school and think she’s going to replace me. She needs to be put her place.’ I thought to myself, as I angrily threw my locker door shut.

                Stuffing my books into my bag I began walking down the long hallway, still fuming from the event that had recently happened. My mind rapidly flashed with images of her, images of all the gawking boys and it made me want to gag. I even regretted leaving Tristan back there, I know he’s my boy-friend and I should trust him, but I didn’t at the moment. ‘She’s not the pretty. What’s so special about her?’ I asked myself in my mind, as I slowed my pace in the hallway, looking around at the empty lane.