New York

Ah Yes, New York. The skyscrapers, pigeons, lights and people! The sun gloriously rose through the chill of the winter. It was cold, my cheeks turned red and rough from the biting wind. The sun shone onto my face, feeling the warmth and coldness of the winter at the same time. I finally arrived to the city that never sleeps!

The bustle and hustle was odd, something I never had back home. It was oddly pleasant as the wind whiffed the smell of street snacks and car soot across town. Everything from sight, smell and sound was new to me. The snow was blacker, and the sky smokier. Erwin asked us to stop by his luxe apartment, and that's where the three of us were headed, straight from the airport.  

It was mid-noon, so we grabbed ourselves a kebab from the nearest shop, and drank hot chocolate in Erwin's favourite coffee shop. 

"They serve the best drinks here, and I happen to know the owner's son through the internet."

The brass doorbell chimed when Erwin heaved through the heavy, black wooden door. It was quiet. Jazz music played from the old, antique radio that stood on the console table near the cashier's counter.  The floor smelled of fresh varnish, a nice touch to the old-fashioned style of the shop. A Latino man, not taller than 5 feet, was sitting on an antique chair by a small coffee table in the furthermost corner of the shop.

"Alberto, it's good to see you!" Erwin kneeled and gave a loving embrace.

"Look at you my boy! All grown up!" a smile ran through his wrinkled face. "It's good to see you!"

"Jo, Ed, meet Alberto, my godfather."

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Sir." Erwin said. 

"It's really nice to see you, Sir, you own a great coffee shop!" I complimented.

"Why so formal? Come, sit! Sit! I cook you tacos. On the house."

He spoke his halting English with a Latin-American accent. His black eyes twinkled and his thinning greyish-black hair lined his darkly tanned skin. Despite his short stature, he was nimble, and lifted an iron-cast pan with such ease. Back in the kitchen, a pleasant concoction of aromas brewed something rather savory, one that you can smell in South American restaurants back in my hometown. They always serve good food there.

As Erwin took out his wallet, Ed said, "No, let me pay this time."

"Too late guys." I put in my $10 dollar note into the tip jar. There's no way it's getting out.

"Jo, seriously, again?"

"Well, what can I say? I am fast."

"Well that's not very fair, innit?" Erwin shoved his $10 on the table in my direction. 

I shoved it back to him, and he shoved it back to me again. 

"Alright, stop it." Laughing on the table, the $10 flew back in his direction as the door behind opened. "Even the wind told you to keep your money." I was wheezing.

"OK, Alright, next time, I'm paying/tipping." Ed insisted.

"Well, there's only one way to find out. Scissors paper stones?" A grin spread across his face.

"Scissors paper stones." When indecisive, we always do that, no matter the circumstance.  

"Scissors paper stones!" The two of them said in unison.

"Ah, I win! It's on me next time!" 

"Seriously Erwin, out of the three of us, I'm the richest among us and you two get to pay more often than I do?" 

"Seriously guys, just enjoy your tacos, I'm going to order something myself. I'm paying for it."

"No, I'm paying!" Ed said. "Your $10 tip already landed in the tip box."

"Seriously Ed?" humoringly speaking, I wasn't the best. "That's my meal."

"And I'm paying for it." Ed continued.

"Hmmm... what about if we each paid for what we ordered? Sounds good?" Suggesting this was the last option I had to make him not pay my meal.

"Nooo, you can't just do that!" Erwin insisted. "I'm paying for the three of us, and you can't change my mind."

"Fine, alright, we had a deal, but I am ordering a full meal, perhaps anything warm, savory and some chocolate?" Maybe adding an extra $20 would deter him from paying.

It didn't work. I was stuffed in my seat with good Mexican food. Best Tacos I've eaten in a while. The Jalapenos lingered in my mouth, and my breath smelled like chili chocolate.

"Erwin, seriously? I told you I could pay for myself!" 

"Promises are promises, and I stick with them."

"Alright, but I'm paying next time." 

"Ed, come on, consider it the fact that I'm paying for the discounts on the house for regular customers. Please?"

"NO, not those puppy eyes Erwin!" Resisting the pitiful look on Erwin's face, Ed finally gave in. "Alright," sighing, he was. "Only this once, but I'm paying next time, and I promised that."

Alberto then accompanied us to the main entrance as more and more customers filled his coffee shop during lunch. The Sunday noon was filled with noise of all sorts from cab honkings, bicycle bells, and pigeon coos by the park. People gathered in restaurants, kiosks and coffee shops with their colleagues.

We then went on to Erwin's apartment in the heart of New York. From his living room, we got a great view of New York's skyscrapers. Farther off, we could see boats cruising the river. 

"My parents will be coming this afternoon. They said it'd be nice if you could join us for dinner tonight."

"We'll see about that. Ed and I have much to do today. I'll contact you soon. See you next year at university!"

"See you! You too mate, take care of yourself."

"See you jolly soon!" Ed gave a pat in Erwin's back, then we took our luggage and headed towards the door. I heaved my violin and suitcases out of the door. It's already 1 in the afternoon, and we have not stopped by our new home here. We then quickly walked out of the apartment and into the nearest subway station.

I took in every sensation and quickly felt that New York was entirely different from the calm of my hometown. We still had to take a subway downtown, and into the suburbs. New York University awaits me January, so I better get myself prepared for the worst when I have business courses during the day, concerts to attend at night.