The Betrayal

The snow started flying into the cabin as Reese opened the door. Outside, the snow was about a foot thick, enough for me to sink my feet into an unwelcoming, forbidding path outside. It was unwilling to relent as the hostile night accompanied with the darkness, engulfing every inch of light.

"Looks like we all have to sleep in for the night." Uncle sighed. 

"You need any help with your things, Reese?" I offered. 

"Oh, it's nothing. After all, we have intel you might be interested in. You might want to have this,  though." 

Reese pulled out a violin case splattered with dried blood. I took it in and placed it on the cocktail table. Inside, the violin and the photographs were still intact. However, the bow needed to be rehaired. I took in a sniff that bittersweetly reminded me of my dad. The sweet, woody aroma was still there, lingering in the air. When I bowed its strings, it seems that I could feel the energy that was projected from the body of the violin, resonating with a singing tone from each one. The energy vibrated within me, stirring up a sensation reminiscent of recalling my past lives. It was unpleasantly off tune. 

I was tempted to tune it, but we had more important matters to settle. I took one last look on its beautifully glossed reddish-brown surface that night before putting it back to its case and zipping it away for good. Reese had just settled in when I looked away from the violin. With a map and a gigantic list of intel spread across the table, she started discussing about the latest operation in planning as we planned to move to our new camp later a few miles northeast from here.

We all gathered together there as she discussed Operation Intercept.  

"A few days ago, we discovered that this is the Oracle's main network to their main Headquarters. If we manage to ambush them just by tommorow on our way to their new camping grounds, it would be possible to rescue Amanda, Mandy and Sarah. We still have no information about Erwin's whereabouts, unfortunately. Do you happen to have information from your agents in their headquarters?" 

"Unfortunately, no." Uncle said. "It has been some time since we heard a word from them."

"It may be wise to move out at this time. Any observations or odd feelings a few days before?"

"I'm afraid we may be under surveilance, someone was probably watching us on the way here. I have a feeling. It was either one of my past lives, otherwise it maybe something else, but I wasn't very sure that time." I nervously spoke.

"Tomorrow, we move out at dawn, and their convo are scheduled to be 5km from the HQ at 9.50 a.m., 5 km away from our new spot. Uncle has scheduled a flight for the two of you to get out of here. The Alpha's safety is our priority." Reese continued.

"Reese, we would like to take the offer, but you might need both Ed and I at the camp more than you do when we're outside." I argued.

"Very well, but you have your training scheduled in about 5 days from now in a top secret location we only can access with plane. I will take you there once our business is done. A friend of your father's is waiting for you there."

 "Very well. Anyways, regarding your violin, do you think there is a certain affinity with you in it? Jo, that is very crucial for you and your future training." Uncle was slightly neervous.

"Yes," I replied.

"That means you can start learning to control your energy flow as soon as possible. The violin serves as your medium to be able to channel your inner energy and help you to communicate to your past lives, an important part of your presence being an Alpha." He then sighed in relief.