Chapter 12

'Tavern' was a bit of a misnomer. The quaint property had a large barn for hosting weddings, and a few small rooms shot off that housed a small bar and a few tables with a brief menu the staff could prepare for guests during non-event days. Lexa's father was sitting by himself reading a book and drinking a draft beer when they walked in.

"There they are!" He stood up to great them. He looked ready for a game of golf in pressed chinos and a polo shirt, and he had the exact smug smile on that Clarke was expecting. He did, however, look a lot like Lexa, and Clarke had a hard time with it. They had the same jawline, the same green eyes, and though his hair was mostly gray now, it was evident that he used to have the chestnut curls Clarke had come to appreciate.

"Hi," Lexa greeted him first.

They cleaned up well and Clarke spent extra care on her hair and makeup. She didn't want to stand out too much and draw unnecessary attention to herself, but she wanted anyone casually scoping out who Lexa was with to be impressed. She wore a black sundress that modestly showed off her figure and she liked how it paired alongside Lexa in a crisp white button down and slim dark dress pants.

"Dad, this is Clarke, my girlfriend," Lexa said confidently. She rested a gentle hand at Clarke's lower back as they approached him.

"Clarke! It is a treat to meet my daughter's partner," he held out a hand to shake. "Alexander Woods. Pleased to meet you."

"Clarke Griffin. Pleasure's all mine," Clarke took his hand and returned his business handshake with a mirrored smug smile, and she wondered briefly if he was on to her.

"That's quite a handshake you have there, Clarke Griffin," he said. It was unclear if he was impressed or not.

"When you run a business like mine, you shake a lot of hands of older men who think they're better than you," Clarke gave him a toothy grin.

"HA!" he laughed. "I like her, Lexie," Alex tried to share a conspiratorial joke with his daughter who was repulsed. "What kind of business do you own, Clarke?"

"I own and operate my own branding, design and consulting company," Clarke replied calmly as Lexa pulled out her chair for her and she took her seat. "Thanks, Babe," Clarke smiled at her.

"Of course," Lexa replied with a knowing glance.

"Alexandria, I'm glad to see you still have your manners," Alex said firmly.

"I certainly didn't get them from you," Lexa said through tight lips.

"Whoa!" her father held his hands up. "Can we just have a nice lunch together please?"

"God, I hope so," Lexa said under her breath as she looked around for who to order a drink from.

"So, Alex," Clarke leaned forward. "I'm sorry, may I call you Alex?"

"I wish you would," He replied with glee.

"Lexa mentioned you were here with a plus one yourself. Why are we dining with just you?" Clarke offered up her best innocent eyes.

"Denise wanted to relax a little before catching up with her family. We drove down from Vermont last night and stayed in an Air bnb nearby and she's just wiped," Alex picked up his beer and took a long swig.

"Right, unlike your daughter who works for a living who traveled all day from Los Angeles, where for us it's only ten o'clock in the morning," Clarke smiled coldly at him. Before he could say anything more, she tapped him on the arm in a harmless, charming way and said, "So tell me about you! What do you do for work?"

Lexa drowned them out and excused herself to speak to the bartender about ordering something to drink. She returned to the table with a bottle of rosé and two glasses and found Clarke and her dad in a pissing contest about their stock portfolios.