Chapter 1: Desert Night

Note: Picture I drew above is not 100% accurate to the contents of this chapter

When you are feeling down, when you are feeling heavy, feeling horrible, feeling like the worst person ever, you can always know that in the long run, life will turn out okay. That no matter your actions, mistakes, and hurtful choices, things will always get better. That your circumstances will improve, and that if you try hard enough, your best, all your goals will be successfully accomplished. That life will find a way.

However, that's not what our young protagonist friend felt like.

TommyInnit, self-proclaimed arbitrator, was certainly not feeling this way. No, life would definitely not, and had not, changed for him. He was certain that life was out to get him, no matter what! There had been constant misfortune throughout his years, and if it was anyone else's fault (it certainly wasn't Tommy's), it would be life for playing him these cruel games.

Well, then, if that's how life wants to play it, FINE! TommyInnit didn't need anything or anyone to "change his life." All he needed was himself and no one one else to let him live his truest self!

"Tommy, I actually don't know if we're going in the right direction."

Oh my God, Tommy thought. This guy.

"WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DON't KNOW IF YOU'RE GOING THE RIGHT DIRECTION? What is WRONG with you!?" TommyInnit yelled at Tubbo for the third time today.

Tubbo Underscore was a small, scrawny kid, nearly the same age as Tommy. He had "befriended" Tommy when they both had gotten into trouble for a chicken pen being broken, and being the teenagers they were, naturally they had been blamed.
Tubbo was holding a map up close to his face, as he had been for the last couple of hours. He had been ordered- no, given a job by Tommy to guide them towards the nearest town. However, both of them had never needed to utilize a map before, and so they only had a partial clue of using a map, mainly by assuming things.

"Well, we should be headed toward EarthTown by now, but there's nothing here." Tubbo raised his hand over his eyes and looked far off into the distance. The dry grass and dead bushes offered no sympathy for the boys, and Tubbo squinted his eyes, trying to look even farther, as well as trying not to get sand in his eyes. "Yeah, I don't see anything..."

Tommy didn't reply, instead making a face in disappointment.

"I think maybe if we head instead to this direction..." Tubbo mused for a bit.

Tommy bit his lip in frustration, not listening to Tubbo's ramblings. If only he had left this incompetent, clingy fool back at Hypix Town, then maybe Tommy wouldn't be so lost! This Tubbo guy even got them kicked out of Hypix! How dare he influence Tommy with his smart, yet troublesome plans!

Maybe things would be better if Tommy could ditch the guy. However, Tubbo had always remained walking behind Tommy on their trip, and there hadn't been a chance for Tommy to run. The guy even stayed up to stand guard from the flying ghosts while Tommy slept! Phantoms, or whatever Tubbo called them.

It was clear that Tubbo knew Tommy was the alpha, so he was doing everything he could to stay with the leader and use that for his own gain. What a power-hungry jerk!

"Let's go this way for a bit, then we can set up camp." Tubbo pointed in a direction, and waited for Tommy to go ahead.
"Fine." Tommy simply said, and walked forward.