Chapter 6: Kira

The morning was slowly turning into day and Farah and JJ were strolling down the busy streets, peering into store after store, mindlessly shopping.

They hadn't spoken many words to each other so far, but their presence was enough conversation for them to enjoy each other's company.

Farah had felt her phone ring many times, but was quick to silence it. However, JJ noticed the sound.

The two had finally decided it was time to fill their stomachs with food as the sudden growls of their bellies signalled them to devour sustenance. They didn't venture far off, entering a small run down chinese restaurant. It was buffet style, with all the autres resting on hot plates under strong fluorescent lights to keep them warm.

Although it was run down, the prices were not. In New York, the quality of establishment was no sign of cheap or expensive. It either meant rip off or bad service.

After paying their overly priced buffet tickets, Farah and JJ went into the line, ready to fill their plates with all the food their heart desired.

As Farah was just getting closer to the platter of fried rice, her phone began to vibrate again. Too pre-occupied with balancing the two plates of food she held in her hands, she chose to let her phone ring till the very end.

JJ started to walk up to her.

"You like fried rice?"

Caught off guard, she nervously dropped the serving spoon on the floor. One of the employee's saw Farah drop the spoon and frustratedly can over to pick up the spoon.

"Watch when you serve! Gosh", he shouted to Farah's face.

The irritated man jogged to the back of the store into the kitchen and can back with a new serving spoon.

"Don't drop this one, got it?"

She nodded vigorously, intimidated form his New York attitude. He turned around and returned to his duties.

JJ looked back at Farah slightly overwhelmed from the amount of aggression he had just witnessed.

"Damn, are all people in this city like this?"

"You get used to it...I guess", she answered hesitantly. Although she was from these parts, Farah had never truly gotten accustomed to the New York attitude.

"Well, Southern people are not like this at all. Yall are mad so often."

They laughed. They continued through picking out all the slightly old food there wanted to try. That is the thing about buffets. There is so much to try that it no longer becomes about eating more, but eating everything.

When they had filled their plates to their liking, Farah and JJ headed for a booth near the corner all they way in the back of the store, far from any employees to scare them off.

JJ had only stuck to the basics, rice and chicken. He ironically didn't take advantage of the magic of buffets and stuck a simple plate of what he thought was necessary. Farah, on the other hand, towered her plates with arrays of fried items, vegetables, and variations of chickens. These were mostly the same item but with different sauces.

As they began to devour into their food, Farah's phone rang once again. She didn't budge to address it.

JJ stopped eating and paused.

"Hey Farah, you know your phone rang."

"Oh! yea , I'll call them back later. Don't worry about it."

JJ leaned back into his seat. As he did, the sound of the old wood creaked.

"Your phone has been ringing all morning. You sure it isn't urgent."