Chapter 8: The King

As JJ and Farah traveled into the densest parts of the city, the character of the place and its people became more clear and vivid. Trade was obviously more than business in this town. It was like a religion. Everyone was buying or selling something. No one was ever just sitting around. A cash transaction could be heard from every corner and every minute. However, the typical dollar bills and patriotic coins of American currency were obviously not used. Gold points and blue sheets of paper were exchanged.

The townspeople became more strange in shape, figure, and size as they walked deeper into town. There were some individuals that did look like regular humans, however not exactly the same. Their skin was never that of normal homo sapiens. Some had different colored skin, such as shades of blue or red, or some had drastic modifications in texture, such as scales or excessive hair. Nothing truly made them equivalent to actual human form but just similar. However, the majority of individuals looked nothing like the average person that one could find walking down the streets of new york. Grand creatures soared through the sky, majestic bests galloped through the streets, and, infact, vibrantly colored aquatic beings swam through the river flowing through town. Fins, wings, tails, tentacles, mains, all diverse characteristics filled the town. All of which unsettled Farah's nerves.

JJ and Farah were getting closer to the middle of the city and to their finally destination. The tower.

JJ tried to explain all the basics of the city Farah. But the pounding of her feared heart distracted her from hearing all his words. However, some things she did pick up on. The world they were in was called Atmara, which basically was the spirit world. The city they were in was Mangrum, a part of the Kingdom of Mara. There were five basic kingdoms of Atmara. The one JJ and Farah were in was the most powerful kingdom, and it was also the Kingdom of merchant, a title that was fitting of the land.

Closer and closer they got, Farah and JJ finally made it the first great wall protecting the tower. The wall is painted a pristine white. No cracks of blemishes could be seen on any side or corner of the barrier. Nor did either of them see a door.

Farah gazed around the area insearch of any entrance. She found nothing.

"What the hell JJ. How are we suppose to get into this place?"

He didn't answer. In fact he wasn't concerned at all. He appeared to be a completely idle state, still of any movement, and even breathing.

Farah walked up to him and waved her hand in front of his face to check if he was breathing. She felt his warm breath on her hand, but saw no reaction.

His eyes were closed tight and his hands were folded in a fist at the center of his chest.

Farah pulled away and rolled her eyes.

She kept thinking to herself how did she get this far. Meaning, how did her life change so much in such little time. She looked down at her feel, staring at the dusty road. Her toe nails were filthy. Dirty and mud had gotten into the crevises of her toes and soiled the edges of her sandals.

JJ suddenly awakened from his trance. He was completely focused. His feet started to move closer to wall. In on single motion, he lifted his arm and placed his hand against the white wall. He inhaled. As he was about to exhale, he uttered a few words, "darhoja."

Suddenly, his fingered were clawed into the wall.IT was as if he was gripping onto some kind of doorknob.

Farah jumped back in amazement. She watched him in awe.

JJ began to twist his hand to the left. And just like a door, he began pulling forward, opening the secret door into the fortress of the great tower.