Prologue

Regrets. Regrets are complicated matters. Insubstantial, existing only in one's mind yet they have the power to drag you into depths of despair and misery. They can be small things piling up into a massive avalanche, or shattering moments that can haunt you forever.

Regrets of inaction sometimes are presented a second chance. A chance to say what should have been said, to do what should have been done. Regrets of actions taken, though, can never be rectified. Words once spoken cannot be unheard. Actions once taken cannot be taken back.

Regrets are complicated matters. Some people feel them every second of every day. Some people never feel them at all. She didn't know which was worse. While painful, regrets also can serve as a reminder of lessons learned, of memories whether good or bad.

She had a lot of time to think back on her life, her decisions, her experiences. There wasn't much else she could do in her situation but reflect. Thinking back, she had a lot of regrets. She regretted not telling them the truth. She regretted her failure. She regretted the pain she had caused. But no matter how hard she tried, or how much she thought, she couldn't bring herself to regret meeting them.