Chapter 1

July 4th, 2019

Washington, D.C.

White House Lawn

"Do we have a visual?" Brooks barked into their comms. He made his way through the crowd ignoring the complaints at his rough behavior. He had better things to worry about than offending someone. He had a job to do.

There were rumors of an Ayalian attack against the president of the United States. It was said an assassin would target him during his Independence Day speech. The lawn of the White House was packed to the brim with reporters and spectators. American flags flew in the wind from every window of the White House.

Brooks team was assigned to the case. They investigated the rumors and determined them to be credible. Skullis, a notorious Ayalian assassin, was reported to have taken the job. He had been at the top of the DOA's most wanted list for months. He was credited with two other major hits against other governments just this year. Brooks couldn't wait to get his hands on him to return the favor.

 The moment the Ayalian people revealed themselves to the people of Earth was the moment everything changed. While some felt vindicated that their theories of extraterrestrial life were proven true, others saw the threat for what it was.

 While some felt vindicated that their theories of extraterrestrial life were proven true, others saw the threat for what it was

Brooks had just finished his workout with Raph at their local gym. They had interviews with the FBI and some recruiters for the marines tomorrow. They didn't know exactly what they wanted to do, but they knew they wanted to help people. They were headed back to the apartment they rented. Detroit always seemed to be busy. Lots of cars going lots of places. It wasn't the safest city, but it was home. Raph and he had both been raised here. Brooks had his parents while Raph bounced around various foster and group homes.

They were just passing a local park when the ground began to shake. A large ship materialized in the air. It looked like something out of a science fiction movie, but this was real life. Brooks and Raph stopped in shock and stared at it. When it began shooting into the park, they were jolted into action. The lasers kept firing exploding trees, creating small craters as everyone ran for their life. The screams seemed to echo in his ears. Brooks looked at Raph and knew they were in agreement.

Instead of running away, they ran towards the park. His heart raced as he dodged the blasts. Men, women, children, some injured some dead. The images ingrained themselves into his mind. They helped whoever they could escape the firing zone, but for every person he saved he saw another already gone.

 They helped whoever they could escape the firing zone, but for every person he saved he saw another already gone