Transition

Transition I,

As Jade opened the investigation for August and Kris visited an unexpected prisoner, the blue beetle sat unattended in the Inn's near-empty parking lot — vulnerable to desperate soon-to-be teen mothers.

...

Whitewater Heights 2002

It was a bright new day in Whitewater Heights and Cece had her eyes set on an Inn guest's blue beetle for her grand escape. This was not the kind of car that one would find in Whitewater Heights. Somehow it spoke to her. It reminded her of the deep blue color fire possessed when it burned hot enough.

If it was parked at the Inn, that meant that the keys would be in Victoria's office cabinet for guest safekeeping. She quickly hurried into her cupboard of the room to pack everything she needed, socks, sweaters, her baby blanket, Liam's jacket, into a small purple duffle bag. She quietly snuck into Victoria's office and grabbed the key with the matching car logo and made her way to the parking lot.

She stuffed the purple duffle bag into the backseat and started the car engine.

Once she familiarized herself with the gear shift and the feel of the wheel she began to drive. The parking lot was in the back of the Inn so she knew she had to circle around before being able to drive down main street and past the town lines to freedom.

As she drove down Main Street she passed by the baby blue Inn, the concrete grey clinic, the pastel green town hall, and the maroon shophouse — the four quaint buildings that lined Main Street of Whitewater Heights.

She slowed down for a moment to remember what the town looked like. She wanted to burn the image of the town into her memory because she knew the moment she passed that town line she would never return — but she never stopped driving.

Just as she was about to cross the town line she looked at the rearview mirror to see her precious town one more time. The town with so many memories. The town with so many stories. The town with so many secrets it could drown you.

Now she was free. She never needed to keep another secret in her life. She could simply live the life she wanted with her child. As she drove away from the town she said goodbye. Goodbye to the secrets. She thought to herself in Liam's theatrical circus emcee voice. Goodbye to the Heights.