Naomi

I woke up the next morning, my mind being less confused as I took a long walk the day before and breathed in some fresh air. The first thing that came to my mind was that girl from yesterday, Naomi. I wanted to remember her so bad, but I just couldn't.

I heard the nurse coming into my room, smiling at me.

"Hello, Mr. Irwin. How are you feeling?"

"I feel great."

"Well, that's amazing. Do you have any wishes?"

"Is Naomi still here?" I asked and the nurse's face dropped.

"That poor thing. She practically lives here. She's been here all the time you were sleeping, all nine days. I had to beg her to eat at least a little. And she's still here."

"Can you call her in?"

"Of course."

After a few minutes, the door of my room opened and a tiny girl with a confused expression walked in. She walked slowly to my bed and sat next to me.

"Hi." I said.

"Hi." she said, smiling very, very weakly. She was really beautiful, probably the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. But what do I know, I don't remember any of the girls I've seen in the last three years.

"How are you feeling?" she asked.

"I feel ... empty. How are you feeling?"

"I've never been worse." she said, looking down at her lap.

"Can you tell me what happened? Tell me who you are." I said. She was quiet for a few minutes, just looking at me.

"I'm your girlfriend. At least I was before the crash." she said. I swallowed hard.

"How long have we been together?"

"Two years." she said, her voice cracking. I knew she was about to cry.

"Exactly two years." she repeated. "The car crash was on our 2nd anniversary." she added.

"I'm so sorry." I whispered. She let a tear slip down her face.

"It was my fault." she said, now crying.

"What was?"

"I should've told you earlier." she said, sobbing.

"Tell me what?" I asked, confused as to what she was talking about.

"That the car was going to bump in us. I should've seen it before." she said, burying her face into her hands.

"You think this is your fault?" I asked quietly and she looked up at me.

"It was an accident." I whispered, but she shook her head.

"I'm so sorry, Ash."

"It wasn't your fault."

"You don't know. You don't remember." she cried. "You don't remember anything."

I closed my eyes, taking a deep breath.

"Do you want to go grab some coffee?" I asked her. I just wanted to get her in a better mood, even if just for a day, or an hour, or only a minute. She was so broken.

She smiled.

"Okay." she nodded. "I'll go tell the nurses." she added, standing up and leaving my room.

I sighed and slowly stood up, making sure everything was okay. I stretched my arms and looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like shit. I looked like shit in front of a girl that looked so stunning even with no make up on and crying endlessly. I brushed my teeth, got dressed in the black skinny jeans and a grey hoodie that my mom brought the day before and then fixed my hair a little. I tried to find Naomi in my memory again as I was watching my reflection in the mirror, but all I could remember was me and Michael playing soccer in school. There was also this huge blonde, blurry dude somewhere in my messed up mind, but I didn't know his name and I couldn't remember where to put him no matter how hard I tried. I heard knocking on the door and someone coming in. I turned around and saw Naomi smiling at me.