Prologue - Zain

Now what did I get myself into? How do I manage to end up in such situations anyways? The week had started just fine with the new semester at University. I felt all ready to handle the world as I stepped into the after high school phase. I looked forward to the excitement and adventures that were bound to come my way, but this soon?? Heck nooo!

*FLASHBACK TO THE FIRST DAY AT UNIVERSITY*

"Get yourself an eye check-up man, you're losing your vision!" Says Daniel, guffawing. I roll my eyes and hold him to turn him around so he can also catch a glimpse of what I saw before me. There, right there, in the flesh, is Aqsa, staring at me with anger flashing in her eyes. Daniel gapes in disbelief, closes his eyes, shakes his head and opens his eyes again. But she's still there, obviously.

"You!" Aqsa and I both yell at the same time.

"Why can't you leave me alone? How could you follow me here?" She asks, all the while glaring daggers at me.

"Oh really? I followed you or you followed me? You know very well that my family lives here, in Al Ain. So I would be likely to choose a university here. I went to high school in Turkey because my mum was there at the time. Thanks to your father, my family had to shift to Al Ain." I paused for breath, running my hand through my straight black hair.

If looks could kill, I'd be lying dead in a pool of blood. Her hazel eyes were narrowed to slits, looking at me with every ounce of hatred she could muster. "Thanks to your mother, my dreams of studying abroad in the United Kingdom were shattered and I ended up here."

Wow! Low blow! As if I cared what her dreams were. The only thing I had wanted was to be as far away from her as I could. And look what fate dealt me. I kept silent, in the hope that if I didn't retaliate, she would go away.

"Haven't you ever seen a girl before? Or haven't you met one who stood up to you?" *Sigh* Nope not happening. She's going to throw every abuse and insult at me before she left.

I gave her a look of indifference, turned my back on her and walked away. Daniel caught up to me and laughed. "Man! You should have seen the look on her face! She was getting ready to let you really have it and you just left her standing like an idiot!"

I smile, knowing how much she disliked being ignored. Well, she had it coming. Especially after ruining my first big day.

After that, she got my hint and we both took to the best way around each other, feigning complete ignorance. Which suited me just fine.

My best bud, Daniel and I, had practically grown up together. He was my neighbour in Turkey, and had originally intended to join a renowned university there to pursue a career in Business Studies. But when my family shifted to Al Ain, I put in all my heart to convince Daniel to be with me at this university. Being the true friend that he is, and the gems that his parents are, he didn't hesitate. So here we are.

The week passed in a blur, settling down, attending classes, keeping abreast with the work....until Friday.

"Hey! You! Yeah you! You're a freshman aren't you? Come here."

I looked around me to see whom the dude in the black jacket, leaning against a motorbike, was beckoning to. And realised it was me.

I went to him with a questioning look. Trying to rack my brain whether I knew him from somewhere.

"All freshmen will report to the school gym tomorrow afternoon, understand?" He said with an arrogant air.

"What for?" I ask.

"The initiation ritual of course," he smirked.

"I wasn't told about any initiation," comes my confused reply.

"You're being told...now...and ensure you're there or we'll make life difficult for you in all your years here," he says menacingly and walks away, followed by a whole gang of black jacket guys, chuckling at the look on my face. There were even a couple of haughty looking girls, who kept flicking their hair, with them.

*FORWARD TO THE PRESENT*

Now what did I get myself into? How do I manage to end up in such situations anyways? The week had started just fine with the new semester at University. I felt all ready to handle the world as I stepped into the after high school phase. I looked forward to the excitement and adventures that were bound to come my way, but this soon?? Heck nooo!