Prologue

Prologue

I slowly began to wake up. At first I didn’t know where I was, but then as I looked around the room I was in, and at my clothes I realised that I was in a hospital, and that’s when everything hit me.

I had just given birth two months early and no-one was here with me, to help and support me. I slowly started to sit up, flinching at the pain before relaxing into a comfortable position, and pressing the call button for the nurses.

 And then after a few minutes a nurse walked into the room and asked how I was while checking my vitals.

"I'm ok thanks, a little sore but good"

"Well that's good and your vitals look good, is there anything that you wanted?" She turned to look at me as I answered.

"Could you take me to see him please?"

“Who do you mean miss?”

“My son, you know I gave birth to him a few hours ago”

She looked at me sympathetically for a moment before answering.

“I'll go and get the doctor”

“Why, is there something wrong with him?” But it was too late; she had already left the room.

I waited a few minutes before she came back with a doctor right behind her.

“Thank the gods, doctor will you take me to see my son now please?”

He ignored my question, “Miss, what do you remember from last night?”

“I gave birth, and then he was taken to get checked over”

“And then nothing after?”

“No, what’s going on? Where is my son?”

“Maybe we should wait for your family before giving you the news”

“NO, tell me now”

He studied my face for a moment before sighing, “OK, Miss I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but your son is dead, he wasn’t able to survive through the night” and then he turned and left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

The nurse followed behind him a few seconds later, after telling me that me family should be here soon.