Chapter 6: Regrets

Word Count: 6.6k

The moment that Naib sat down in the lounge, his right shoulder tensed up and a dull throbbing emerged under his right shoulder blade. That must have been where Wu Chang hit him at the end of the game, and normally he would have been able to tolerate that injury, yet the problem was that Wu Chang had detention. Not only that, but he was fairly certain that the umbrella hit a pressure point. He rolled his shoulder forward, yelping as pain flooded his nerves, crawling down to his fingertips. He decided to keep his arm still for now, Emily could help him later after she finished with Eli's examination. Clark really was out of shape, huh. The man could barely walk up the stairs without getting winded, not to mention the fact he collapsed in the hallway. Naib moved his neck a little causing a sharp twinge of pain to race through his right arm again. Groaning, he stood perfectly still, a concept rather foreign to him.

He was expecting Eli to show up shortly to say that Emily was ready to see him, yet was surprised when it was none other than Doctor Dyer herself who entered the lounge. Naib raised an eyebrow at her, to which she sighed and explained the situation, "Eli passed out. He must have been really stressed because during his examination, suddenly his voice just... died mid sentence. I believe that he must have started to hallucinate due to tension because a few seconds later, he was conscious again. Yet, he began to break down, a tear streaked down his face. He then passed out, so I believe he needs a long rest. So that is why I came to get you."

Naib frowned, "So basically, you don't think he's crazy. You think he's just in a state of shock after everything that happened today or something? I mean, it sounds probable so I can't doubt it, but you should keep an eye on him. I feel it in my gut, something strange is happenin' with him."

Emily nodded, "I can't deny that you have a point, but just because someone is strange or unusual, does that make them a bad person?"

"Well no, but-"

"Ah, and that's the ticket." Emily smiled at him, "Mr. Clark has had a long first day. Give him time to adapt to his surroundings. Whatever doubts you have about him, they are surely to diminish eventually."

Naib narrowed his eyes, "I never said he was a bad person. I'm just saying he's not telling the full truth. He's holding back, you can't deny that. He's hiding something from us, and we have a right to know it. It's hard to place your trust in someone if you don't know when they are lying to you."

Emily smiled, closing her eyes, "Ah, I see. Well, Mr. Subedar, I can assure you that after Eli's performance today, he can be of some use to us. I am not telling you to drop your feelings, after all your instincts are rather sharp, but I am also asking you to not let any hard feelings get in the way of your duty. That is, protecting and saving every member of the team. One day, when Mr. Clark is ready to tell us the truth, of his own accord, we can then judge from there. Until then, do not make a mess."

Naib nodded, saluting in the air with his left arm, "Yes Ma'am."

She shook her head, smiling a little as she walked towards the infirmary. Suddenly, she stopped in her tracks, then did a double take, questioning, "Since when did you salute with your left arm? Isn't it supposed to be your right arm? Are you alright?"

Damn, if Naib had pretty good instinct for danger, Emily was superb at knowing when someone was injured. Her eyes glanced towards his limp right arm and then beckoned him to follow her, "How long were you going to keep that a secret?" She said, not looking back as she headed to the infirmary.

Naib shrugged his left shoulder, "Eh, I really don't know. Probably until you touched my arm or something. Damn, it actually hurts a lot. Can't even move it."