Home Sweet Home

"Maurice come on down for dinner baby. I dont want you skipping dinner again." Samantha yelled upstairs to Chris.

"Coming Ma. I had to change my clothes." Chris said back to his mom from the edge of the stairs.

Samantha had been raising Chris by herself since she got out of an abusive relationship with his dad. She didn't feel that being without a father figure in his life she couldn't give him a life that he could be proud of.

She worked two jobs to keep a roof over their heads, food on the table, and clothes on their backs. And that is what made her even more protective over her son. A lot of people say she treats him more like a man than her son.

Every time Chris gets close to a girl or gets into a serious relationship, Samantha finds a way to run her off from them. Chris came down the stairs and kissed his mom on the cheek and sat next to her at the table.

"Mmm. Mama this looks good as hell." Chris said to his mama picking up his fork.

"Well thank you baby. And what I told you about your swearing boy?" Samantha said as she smacked Chris across the head.

"Sorry mama. But you got to let me grow up. It's bad enough I'm 25 and you won't let me move out." Chris said.

"Christopher Maurice Brown!" She yelled at him.

Chris already knew it was about to get crazy.

"Don't you ever take that tone of voice with me Maurice. You know I do all I can to take care of us." Samantha said.

"Mama I know. And I work and help too. So it's not like I don't do nothing. But I need my own space. I can't hang with my boys or nothing with you being all protective and shit." Chris said rolling his eyes putting food in his mouth.

"Hey. Don't do that. I have my reasons." Samantha said.

"And what reason is that mama? Huh? I am not a little boy anymore and I'm sure as hell is not dad." Chris said.

The table got quiet for a few minutes and right before Samantha could respond Chris cell rings.

"Yo." Chris said into the phone as he chewed his food.

"Aye man you coming out tonight or what? Or you got to ask mama dearest?" Trey said in the phone as he laughed.

"Fu- forget you man." Chris said catching himself as his mom gave him that look.

"So is that a yes, no, maybe? We going to this little party and they said it's a lot of fine ass shorties there. Hell you may meet someone strong enough not to let your moms run her away." Trey said.

"Man shut that shit bruh. I'll be there. Let me get finished here and come pick me up in bout a hour." Chris said happy.

"Bet. I got you. And bring some protection cause you gonna need it man." Trey said laughing.

"I'm already on it." Chris said hanging the phone up.

Chris put his phone down and continued to eat his food. He didn't look at his mom. He already knew she was about to start some shit.