00.4|| welcome.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHEN AQUILA WAS sat at her table, she wasn't paying attention to anything. She was lost in her own thoughts as usual. She was sat next to Ginny Weasley, who was talking to Aquila. Or more-so talking to herself, as Aquila was not paying attention to anything the poor girl was saying. Kids were piling in, and the Frog Choir was singing. Aquila was lost in her thoughts, deep in the hole of possibility. Her chin rested in the palm of her hand, and she was staring blankly at the table as kids around her whispered. They were staring at her with judge-y eyes, coming up with their own conclusions to the questions floating around. Unbeknownst to her, the only eyes looking at her with pity were from a certain scar-headed boy, a few seats down.

She only looked up from the table when she heard clapping all around the room. The Frog Choir had finished singing and Dumbledore was making his way to his stand, about to make his speech, "Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts. Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast. First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R.J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Good luck, professor." Applause filled the Great Hall as students smiled at the thought of a new teacher.

Through the applause Aquila heard one uptight voice above the others, "Psst, Potter.. Potter... Is it true you fainted? You actually fainted?" Draco Malfoy. The boy who teased. He bullied everyone, but Aquila usually never found herself the target of his bullying. Whenever she would make a snide comment to him, he would look at her with an unknown expression, and turn away. "Malfoy it would be greatly appreciated if you could keep your filthy comments to yourself." Aquila voiced her thoughts, and the boy turned away. Harry looked at her in appreciation, and she smiled a small smile before looking back up at the teachers table.

"Our Care of Magical Creatures teacher has decided to retire, in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs. Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid." Applause filled the hall once again, the loudest coming from Gryffindor table. Hagrid stood up, causing the table to move and things to fall. This caused Aquila to let out a small giggle and keep clapping. "Finally, on a more disquieting note, at the request of the Ministry of magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured." Whispers were heard all around Aquila, and she didn't have to look up to notice most eyes had snapped to her at the name of Sirius Black. She felt herself shrinking under their watchful gazes, wanting nothing more than the seat she was sitting in to swallow her whole. "The dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds. Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution. Dementors are vicious creatures. They will not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in the way. Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you to give them no reason to harm you. It is not in the nature of a dementor to be forgiving." Aquila shuddered at the words, not wanting to experience the things Dumbledore was insinuating. "But as you know, happiness can be found in even the darkest of times if one only remembers to turn on the light."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aquila walked towards Gryffindor common room, getting pushed and nudged by shoulders as people rushed past her pretending she wasn't there. She was quietly walking amongst other students. Her footsteps were quiet in comparison to others, as theirs were like the sound of millions of bricks smacking against the ground.

"Aquila? You in there?" Ginny was waving her hand infront of Aquila's face. "Sorry, G, I'm lost in my thoughts again." Aquila offered her friend a small smile, which she returned. "Its okay A, I understand." Ginny patted the back of her dear friend. As they went up the stairs leading to the Gryffindor common room, there was a few of Ginny's friends and Aquila's acquaintances standing at the portrait. "Fortuna Major!" Seamus Finneagan yelled at the portrait.
Harry turned around and smiled at Aquila, completely ignoring Ginny. Ginny frowned when he turned away. "Fortuna Major!" The boy yelled once again. "No, no. Wait, wait, wait! Watch this," The portrait yelled back. After that, the lady tried to belt to break the glass, but it just came out as a mangled scream. Aquila winced at that, and the other kids covered their ears. The Lady realized it wasn't going to work, and smashed the glass against the wall behind her. "Amazing, just with my voice!" The lady gasped. "Fortuna Major." Harry said, in a bored tone. "Alright, go in." She finally said, and the portrait opened, allowing the kids to go into the common room. Aquila gave a mock salute to the Lady in the portrait, and walked in the room. "Thank you!" Harry said, in a sarcastic voice. Aquila giggled, and Harry smiled at her. They all walked in the room and the boys were joking about the lady in the portrait.

The boys and the girls went up towards the dormitories, and split up once they had to. Aquila walked into her room, which inside resided 5 beds. The first one was for Lavender Brown, a very peppy girl who got offended easily. Aquila didn't talk to her much. The next one for Parvati Pavil, Lavender's best friend. She was a kind girl, but once again she didn't really talk to her much. The next was for Ginny, and well, you know her. The second to last was for Hermione Granger, she was Aquila's favorite roommate. She was very tidy, and quiet. She also studied a lot, which Aquila gave props to. Hermione and Aquila didn't talk much, but much like Luna, she found herself comfortable in Hermione's presence.

All the girls were putting their stuff away and chatting about their summers, except for Aquila. She was quietly putting her stuff away, not bothering anyone. She couldn't help but notice Lavender sending her judgemental glares, obviously not happy with sharing a room with a convicts daughter again, especially an escaped convicts daughter. Aquila sighed heavily and laid down on her bed, slowly drifting off to the fading conversation of the other girls in the dormitory.

a,n; please leave ur feedback in the comments, it'll be greatly appreciated.