Chapter Sixteen: Amusing

Chapter Sixteen

Amusing

Her eyes opened to see white, all around her. A nice break from the darkness. She felt around her and realized there was no way out. Her face flushed with fear as her breathing started to get heavier. The dome around her was suddenly pulled off to reveal a smirking Caleb. Anastasia looked around and realized she was in the sick ward of good. Her eyes fell back to Caleb. He had been cleaned up, the slashes on his face turning to scars, his hair was longer than before and he looked like he hadn't slept in days.

"How are you feeling?" He asked taking a seat on the cot she had been sleeping on.

Anastasia said nothing and studied the boy in front of her, who was nothing like the boy she had seen in her dream, but at the same time he was. His blue eyes were full of hope, his lips still curved into the same smile but his mannerism was different. Caleb in her dream was a king, and he acted as such. This Caleb acted like a boy consumed by hate, something Anastasia now was. Both of them were engulfed by rage, but Anastasia knew one thing, both boys shared kindness.

Caleb touched her hand, "Anya?"

Anastasia laid back in her bed and closed her eyes replaying the dream as best she could remember in her mind. She stopped at the part where Caleb grabbed her hands and said strange words to her, but words that would determine her future.

"Do the right thing," he had said.

She shook her head, what did she know about the right thing.

"Anastasia!" Caleb yelled.

Her eyes flickered open and she sat up on the bed, blushing with embarrassment.

"God Anastasia, why do you have to freak me out like that!" He said furrowing his brow in anger.

Anastasia let out a small laugh.

"Stop worrying so much!" She said, giving him a playful punch.

Caleb's face didn't change.

"I need you Anya, I don't need you dying on me."

Anastasia rolled her eyes,"who said I was dying?"

Caleb said nothing and turned to face the wide window of the sick ward. Sunlight shown through the room and onto Anastasia making her eyes a jade green. Caleb turned back to her with a smile.

"How long have I been asleep?" She asked warily.

"A couple days," Caleb said with a shrug.

"A couple days!"

"Anastasia calm down," Caleb soothed.

Anastasia collected herself and took a deep breath.

"I am calm!" She protested.

"You haven't missed much classes and have been cancelled anyway," He said, ignoring her remark.

"But why," she asked with uncertainty in her eyes.

"To many injuries from the trial, teachers figured that kids should get better before things start back up again."

Anastasia nodded her head with silent understanding. She looked around the room and realized how many kids had been injured. She spotted a familiar girl, her hair auburn hair wet, her blue eyes full of fear. She rocked back and forth on her cot as a nurse rubbed her back. Mariposa, Anastasia realized. She somehow looked thinner, Anastasia didn't know how that was possible but she guessed it was. Her eyes flashed to Caleb, his back still turned to Anastasia. She pointed her long witch-like finger at him.