Nausea

Duncan and I take our usual seats next to each other at the back of the class, exchanging small talk while we wait for our teacher Mr Brown.

Duncan cuts off what he was about to say to nod towards the class door; turning to face the front I see that our short, plump teacher Mr Brown has finally arrived, followed by another guy who appears to be new.

He's lean and muscular, wearing faded, skinny grey jeans and a white t-shirt.

As if feeling my gaze he turns to face me, smirking as he vacates an empty seat near the front. His cold grey eyes, hidden behind his black-cropped hair, are burnt into my memory.

Watching each of the students with large brown eyes Mr Brown calls out "Today we are heading into the forest. Quick gather your books and lets go."

I give a nervous laugh, not believing my luck, because moments ago I was complaining about not being able to stay in the forest forever.

Duncan misinterprets my nervous laugh and whispers "Don't worry, you can hold my hand."

Duncan holds out his hand as he stands, waiting for me to join him. Some part of me is grateful for another excuse to enter the forest, while the rest is horrified this is happening to me today, on the day I choose to enter the forest for the first time in five years is the same day I venture out because of class

I stand, completely aware of Duncan holding out his hand. I link my hand to his, grateful for his support. It is better him thinking I am scared of the forest than for him to know I am anxious to wander back through my home.

Everyone piles out of the classroom, chattering nervously about the visit to the forest.

I relax, thinking how lucky to get to go to the forest twice in one day. But before I make it out the door, a sudden wave of nausea hits me.

My knees buckle beneath me, and I fall to the ground. Just before my head hits the ground someone catches it, but it's not Duncan because he is still standing above me. But I don't have time to care, because my eyelids suddenly feel heavy and I don't have the strength to resist them.