01 | beginning of the "end"

Marcella Sullivan did not want to be on that train. She did not want to leave Small Heath, Birmingham. And she definitely did not want to leave behind her best friend.

"Marcella, don't slouch. Slouching-"
"-breeds bad posture. I know, mother."
"Apparently, it brings bad manners with it."

Marcella was a peculiar character. Born and raised in Small Heath, Birmingham, her mother attempted to make her a respectable lady. Anyone who knew Marcie would easily tell you it was impossible. Marcie stared blankly at the dirty, smoke filled roads as they gradually disappeared to reveal vibrant green pastures. Her horrible new life.
She was sad. And it was justifiable.

Sure, she was almost killed, but Tommy saved them.

She was completely fine, a tad traumatised, but fine. Her mother didn't see it that way.
Angela Sullivan had promptly packed their belongings and joined Jeanie, Marcie's older sister, in Yorkshire where she had left for her new job.

Jeanie was a success in their mother's eyes. A young woman with an education, manners and excellence in music, French and chores. But she was a wild spirit. This job was supposed to ground her thoughts and make Jeanie focus on her life.

Marcella, on the other hand, was definitely not an "accomplished lady" and probably never would be. While she did begin her education, her attendance deteriorated over time until she stopped going. She was too busy running around with Finn or helping other families to help around her own home. She wished she had stayed, for perhaps she could read Jeanie's books without her help - or rather, supervision.

The train came to a stop and the three girls exited onto the platform. Marcie didn't miss the wink Jeanie threw towards a man walking past, and lightly elbowed her side.
"Now Jeanie, you have half an hour until work so you should head on now." Their mother almost ordered, "You wouldn't want to be late, and it looks better if you're a few minutes early so off you pop. We won't be expecting you for tea so if you are coming down, you best be early for that too!"

When the seventeen year old faded from her view, the woman turned to her younger daughter, "Now, let's go take a look around our home, shall we?" With that she had marched onwards, leaving Marcie to trail after her.

Marcella disagreed with her mother yet again. She wasn't going to look at her home. They were going to look around a house they would be living in for a while. She was going to go home someday, hopefully soon.
With or without her mother.

The village was a beautiful place, that was undeniable. Stone buildings lined the bustling streets as people of all ages exited and entered them. One was an elderly man clutching a letter, while another was a stampede of young boys running past them, giggling. They passed a church and what Marcie assumed to be a hospital. The sign outside displaying 'Downton Hospital' was a bit of an indication.

Strangely, the air was perhaps the biggest change for her. Marcie could smell the vibrant grass and pretty flowers around her. No smoke to cloud her senses and cloak her surroundings.
Nowhere to hide.

No, not nowhere. Just different places. Even if it wasn't home, Marcie would still have to get used to it.

After what seemed like forever, they finally reached the small townhouse they would live in for the foreseeable future. Marcie hoped it wouldn't be long.

It was similar to her home, terraced and identical to those around it, but a pale brown instead of charcoal grey. A few stems of ivy creeped up the wall beside a pale blue door and stopped just below the window above it.

The door opened, revealing a narrow, cluttered hallway and staircase. One door lead through to a spacious kitchen and dining room, where her mother would inevitably hide away inside. Another lead to a snug parlour with two pink sofas and an unoccupied bookcase, soon to be filled with Jeanie's wondrous French tales.

The duet treaded upstairs where three bedrooms and a lavatory awaited them. One bedroom was much bigger than the other two and was assumed to be the master bedroom, so her mother took it.

Marcie chose the room further from her mother's and was delighted by it. It was rather small, fitting only a bed and chest of drawers, but there was a window. It looked out over the countryside, and Marcie could see everything - the hospital, church, schoolhouse, even the big house - from there.

Yes, it was great. Not perfect like in Small Heath, but close. She could escape here.

"Marcella, can you come down please?" Her mother hollered from below. Hastily, she made her way down where a man stood on the doorstep. He was around middle-age and held a dark flat cap between his worn fingers, only further instilling her homesickness.

"Hello. I'm Joseph Molesey." He said, "I saw you both down in the village and because I hadn't seen you before, I assumed you were new. I thought I'd just introduce myself."

Angela smiled, "Yes, we are, Mr Molesey. It's very nice to meet you. I'm Angela Sullivan and this is my daughter Marcella. My eldest, Jean, isn't here at the moment. Do come in, I'll make some tea."

The man returned the smile, stepping inside. Once her mother's back had turned, Marcie gave the man a big grin and almost skipped to the kitchen. They made small talk and while he seemed a very interesting man, Mr Molesey had toned it down for the pair.

As it turned out, he worked up at Downton Abbey and made it seem a splendid place to work. "The family and staff are all really lovely people and they care about you. I've never been overworked, and the family will help you if you ask." He described. Mr Molesey loved his job, Marcie could tell.

Time passed and soon Mr Molesey had decided to leave. He stood up from the chair and turned to Marcie, "You're always welcome up at the house. As long as you stay downstairs and keep out of certain people's way."

"I'd very much like that, thank you Mr Molesey."

When he was gone, her mother let out a great sigh. They ate their tea before Marcie was rushed upstairs to bed. As she lay on the bed, Marcella finally had some time to think. She wondered where her life was headed next, and if she would ever see her second family again.

Her answer was seemingly no.