Chapter Two

Annabeth Chase was not used to not knowing. But when those people appeared on top of Half-Blood Hill and passed out, she did not know who they were or how they got here. They couldn't be monsters, as they got past the barrier, but they couldn't be human, either. And as Annabeth got closer, she realized they definitely could not be human. Many of them had long and pointed ears, and elongated canines for teeth! What the heck were these... people. Were they people? Some were, some had normal ears and teeth. They also had many blades strapped on them.

No one did anything until Chiron came, though, because he knew the most about mythological creatures forgotten in the modern age, even though Annabeth hated to admit it. She was almost there, though, asking for stories and books that contained forgotten knowledge. So when he cantered up to them and saw the people's faces and features, everyone expected him to know something. He did not. No one did. 

The people had blades on them, and as Chiron said to tie them up, Annabeth and Percy reached for and confiscated the blades. They tied up the strangers with rope from the shed that the Hephaestus cabin swore nothing was getting through. And they waited for them to wake up.

* * *

Aelin had been awake for a while. So had everyone else. They only passed out for a couple of seconds, which could happen due to a change in worlds. But they all pretended to be unconscious, to glean as much information as they could. The people didn't know who, or what, they were. So they let them take away their blades (they would get them back later) and tie them up with rope. Aelin probed it with her ember of magic, and determined that she could burn through it if she tried really hard. It would have been easier with the endless fiery pit, but oh well. No more pit from the gods means no more threats from demons they needed help killing.

But she was bored of being unconscious, so she groggily opened her eyes and adjusted to the light. Once everyone heard her waking, they all did so as well. They opened their eyes to a bunch of stern looking teenagers and young adults and some small children and one horse with a human torso and head. Weird.

"Who are you," they demanded, looking at Lorcan. Looking at Lorcan. They assumed he was leading them. Sexist bitches. Let them believe that. Even Lorcan looked shocked. Well, shocked for Lorcan. Indifferent for anyone else. And Lorcan knew to let them believe so he said,

"Who are you." The people said,

"You are in no position to make demands."

"Are you sure about that?" A small flick of his fingers to Aelin, a signal. As much as she hated being bossed around, she knew it was a good time. She dove to the bottom of her magic, much easier than before, and let it out in short bursts to burn through the ropes with the hottest fire. These ropes were like the ilken, nothing else could kill them. Well, probably a blade, but the angle was too awkward.

The ropes fell to the ground. One camper, a guy covered in grease stains and smelling of smoke, said,

"How did you do that?"

"Magic," Lorcan said, adding the sarcastic tone to his voice Aelin taught him to. They assumed people would laugh at them, but the weird camper people just looked warily at them.

"Well," Lorcan said, standing up to his full height. "We will be wanting our blades back now."

"No," a blonde girl said.

"What, you hid them?" Lorcan asked.

"Yes," a guy with black hair and green eyes answered.

Just then, a hawk's cry sounded. Rowan. He found the weapons. But Lorcan knew to play this right, pretend to not know as much as they did. So he just sat back down and said,