Chapter Three

Rowan was flying around, doing casual hawk things, you know, keeping an eye on Aelin at all times and getting ready to tear the breath from someones lungs if they looked at her, when the world went to hell.

He heard the conversation (still didn't know what milk was), and making Aelin and everyone sacrifice for the gods. At least it was food and not their lives. But who were these people, and why did they smell so... weird? Not Valg weird, not Fae weird, kind of god weird, but at the same time not god-like.

Aelin was sacrificing chicken, to Mala probably, when the bonfire exploded. Rowan was trying his hardest to use hard shields of air to stop the fire, but the fire was too powerful, the might of Mala herself. Rowan knew the world was going to hell, especially after the whole,

"When the Sun fades, and the world is left in shade, the Queens of Iron and Fire will meet to fight the beasts that have arisen once more. A step was all it takes to get to the world of possible loyalties. When the Sun comes up again, then you shall be able to return home." A pause "Be the light, Fire-Bringer. You need to be the light." More riddles. It was clear that all that fire went into Aelin's now almost empty well of magic. Now it was no longer empty. But that fire was more than she had even before the lock thing. They gave her more than before, more than was necessary to defeat a Valg King and Queen. Not good, definitely not good.

Aelin confirmed his suspicions when she said, "It's back," and proceeded to pass out. Rowan didn't give a damn about keeping up appearances anymore as his mate fell to the ground. He used his magic to stop the fall, so she didn't crack her head open. He gently laid her on the ground, shifted, and rushed over to her. All the camper people were staring in wonder at the white-tailed hawk that turned into a silver-haired green-eyes warrior. So what. Aelin was more important than... Well, everything.

He reached Aedion, who was already kneeling besides his cousin, and Fenrys, who was comforting Aedion, and now him. A hawk landed on his shoulder and he knew Lysandra joined them. Elide was around Aelin too, now, so Lorcan pretended to care, because appearances did somewhat matter. They can't have anyone knowing their secrets. Rowan soon learned why everyone was staying far away from her when he touched her arm. It burned him, his hand was covered in red blisters, just like on Beltane. He didn't care. Not as he spotted the lake not far from the dining pavilion, scooped up his mate, and sprinted for the water.

He put her down in the cool liquid, her already heating it up around her, and him having to constantly freeze it so she doesn't boil herself and all the plants and animals alive.

He sat out there for hours, aware of all people thinking they were sneaky creeping up behind him, but did not acknowledge them. Having all that power returned so suddenly could destroy her body. The worry did not dissolve, even when her eyes opened three hours later.

She scanned their surroundings, and where she was, and the burns covering him he had not covered up yet. She gulped.

"I'm–"

"Don't. It's okay," he said, even though it wasn't. The gods needed to stop using his mate like a puppet, using her when they were too lazy to do anything themselves, even though they were the immortals. Her eyes scanned the horizon, the position of the sun, and the darkness that came with the night.

"Did I miss dinner?" She croaked. By the Wyrd, her voice was like sandpaper. He couldn't help himself at that comment though, and let out a little smile.

"No, Fireheart. I'm not sure the people will be willing to let you back after your little show, though."

She snorted. "They better. I didn't get to eat. I'm hungry."

He this time. Then she realized something, and started

"But now they know about you?"

"I'm sure you will come up with an explanation, milady."