CHAPTER FORTY-FIVE

hook, line, and sinker

. ✧ ・゜. +・o ✧

Vomit rose in Alina's throat as she tugged the blindfold off her head. Her breathing was wild and frenzied, her lungs aching, and she had to take a couple minutes to close her eyes, a sob choking past her lips.

What she'd just seen whirled around in her head like it was on a Merry-Go-Round, so it took her a couple of tense moments to finally notice the silence. The oppressive, looming silence, hanging over her like a storm cloud. The only noise apparent in the cabin was the buzz of the static on the TV and the distant sounds of crickets chirping outside, when the cabin should've been full of it, with the others huddled around them, stroking their hair, questioning them of what they'd seen. There should've been El's gasps beside Alina, with blood running from her nose and tears streaming down her face. There should've been noise. Activity. And yet there was none.

Because the cabin was empty. It was dark. Alina was here by herself, without another soul in sight. Like everyone had simply left in a hurry, tugging El along with them, and forgot about her, the girl they were supposed to admire. Could that've been it? Could they really have just left her?

No, they couldn't have. These were her friends. Which made Alina pause. Yes, these were her friends. Which meant that if they'd left her, they wouldn't have done it on purpose. They'd have to have been kidnapped, dragged away kicking and screaming, their yells permeating the cabin. And... thinking clearer now, Alina realized it'd been only seconds since Mike had told her and El to get out. Could they really have been found so quickly?

It didn't matter, either way, apparently, because she was alone.

She rose anyway, her heart thumping hard in her chest, and tentatively called out into the darkness, as if the others were lurking nearby in a twisted game of Hide and Seek. "Lucas?"

Oh, God. If anything had happened to Lucas, or Will, or Jonathan, or Gabe... really to any of her friends... Alina wouldn't know how to cope. She wouldn't be able to live with herself, because she'd already been shattered into a million pieces after Bob and her father's death. She couldn't survive being a million more.