Chapter Six

The room was dark with a small bed and an uncarpeted floor. The three stared at it. 

"What a waste of hair," Kie said, laughing lightly.

"Alright," Will said. "We'll take turns sleeping. We all need rest."

Jack waved his arm at the bed, "By all means, lad, go ahead." Kie nodded a confirmation. 

"Where will you go?" Will asked as they turned to leave. 

"To find the rum," Jack said. "Keep a sharp eye and lock the door." 

The two of them left Will alone in the room as they headed down the stairs. They stumbled out to the cobblestone street where the town was still very much alive and shouting and drinking. Jack grabbed a cane from midair as a man lifted it to attack someone, and when he turned around angrily someone else punched him in the face and the cane was forgotten. He leaned on the cane while Kie grabbed an unbroken bottle, tucked behind a barrel. She popped the cork and drank, the bitter taste a friendly reminder of so many forgotten nights.

Jack draped his arm across her shoulders, taking a swing from the bottle with his other hand. "Let's go," He said, and although Kie wasn't quite sure what that meant, she let him guide her down an ally and past the gunshots to the beach, which was sandy and cold and dark. 

They walked down the beach a bit, dancing and spinning and laughing. "I can't believe you lost your ship!" Kie mocked, spinning around ahead as Jack watched. 

"I didn't lose me ship!" Jack said, pointing a finger which she hardly noticed. "I was..."

He didn't finish because he had decided to take another swing of rum. Kie laughed, draping her arms around his neck. Her shoes were in her hand, dangling by the laces and Jack's coat was abandoned on the beach with his boots. 

"What's this?" Jack grinned, eyeing the beautiful girl in front of him. He leaned forward. "And why does it only happen when we're drunk, hmm?"

Kie dropped her head into his chest laughing. "Let's dance!" She said suddenly, grasping his arms and spinning. 

The moon smiled down on the girl with the light hair and skin as clear and bright as water dancing with the pirate who's dark eyes never left her's as they kicked up sand laughing. 

Kie spun around the dark, blury beach with her arms wide apart and she could've sworn she could fly. She bumped into Jack, and they fell together, collapsing in a pile of sand.

"Watch this," Kie whispered. Propped on their elbows with his arm around her shoulder, Kie waved her hand, and water splashed from the ocean, darting up and falling back. She turned and looked at Jack, her face less than inches away from his. 

He smiled at her, this girl in the dark who was so close to him. She leaned close to him, and said, "You know what I think?" She looked down and smiled. "I think you are more complicated then you let on."

"Pirate," He grinned.

"I've seen your scars, Jack," She said, propping herself up. "I've been by your side when you got a lot of them."

"You've got a few yourself, love," He breathed, his eyes on her shoulder where the upside-down cross, the witch's mark, was imprinted on her skin. That was new to him, he hadn't seen it before this most recent adventure. 

She laughed bitterly. "Why do we live in a world of scars and pain and just," She dropped her head against his shoulder.

"I've found it's best not to dwell on the paths not taken, love," He said after a moment.