One - Faceless

In the thick of night, the Underground was silent. Only prostitutes and men who were having affairs roam the streets. Kids were fast asleep in their beds while mums cleaned the best they could. Hygiene was of the utmost import in the Underground, because if you became sick, the chances were low for you to recover.

On top of a building, far to the north, sat Faceless. A petite woman, with a black balaclava covering her head. Her loose blonde strands escaped the bottom of her disguise, and her bright blue eyes shone through the slit in the cotton fabric. It was her only distinguishable feature, but those who ever saw them up close would not live to tell the tale.

She had many nicknames in the Underground. 'Night Owl'. 'Watcher of the Underground'. 'Protector of the Underground'. 'Ninja'. 'Stealth'. And many more, but Faceless seemed to be the one that stuck. There were more discussions about how Faceless looked than anything else. It was a mystery to everyone. No one seemed to know anything about them, and it frightened everyone even further, the Underground's own boogeyman.

"You won't hear him until he is on top of you and your neck is slit."

"There is never a sound, just blood. No screams, or begging for life, just the ending of life."

"But he only ever goes for those who cause trouble; there is no need to worry if you follow the law."

That's what people would say, and all of it was correct, except for one thing, she was a girl - a woman - and it made it far easier to stay hidden. No one would ever be looking at her as a suspect if they continued thinking Faceless was a male. Despite only going for criminals, police were still looking for her. In the end, she was a murder, but she preferred the word vigilante. If the law would not protect the people of the Underground, then she would.

She stood as a scream filled the silent air. Her eyes scanned her surroundings. Lights lit up the streets, though most were broke causing patches of darkness, some twitched on and off, and even the ones that did work had not been changed in years, on the verge of dying, the light a dull yellow on the wonky street. She closed her eyes, focusing her senses on her hearing- another scream. Her mind followed the sound - the wind acting like sound waves. The buildings around blurred, and the world grew slightly darker as a single spotlight led the way. There was an alleyway three buildings down. It was filled with rubbish and rats, and a broken ladder which made it hard for anyone to walk through. At the end of the alleyway, the sound waves faded. She breathed deeply, and another another scream made her look to the right, down a main street. The sound waves shot up as her mind raced down the brick layered floor before taking a sharp left, finding the back of an abandoned pub. Two men stood at the top of some stairs, pinning down a women half their size.

Faceless opened her eyes and shot down the path she had just seen. In seconds she was at the top of the building, staring down at the two men and women they captured. Faceless was about to strike until the women bit the man's hand which was covering her face.

"You better run now," she spat, "Faceless will be here soon, and he'll kill you for taking me!" The man laughed and slapped her across the face.

"Shut up, you dumb bitch."

"Faceless? What's Faceless?" The smaller man asked, worry filling his voice.

"It's a dumb rumour, a myth even, about a thug, as fast and as quiet as the wind they say. He is everywhere, but also nowhere. He kills those that do wrong," the man laughed at his friend's terrified expression.

The friend forced a chuckle, "why is he called Faceless?"

"Because no one has ever seen his face, he always has a mask on." Once again, the large man chuckled loudly, as if he had told the funniest of jokes. "Can you believe people think that it is real? It's just the Military Police. They added a fake persona so they could get away with murder." He turned back to the women. "Now the thing is," he got close to her face, "there's no Military Police around to save you!" He grabbed the women's cheeks with his dirty hands, squeezing them together, so her lips were forced into a pout. "You're going to be mine tonight..." he forced his lips onto hers before flying across the alleyway.