Sixteen - High Five

Thia's arms wrapped around herself as she entered the cafeteria. It was filled with soldiers and cadets; the loud clattering of cutlery and talking was unfamiliar after locking herself away for a week. She kept her eyes low, not wanting to make eye contact as she walked in. Squeezing herself in and around others that walked by.

"Hey," Yosefina said softly when she spotted Thia.

"Hey," Thia whispered. "Is it okay if I join you guys?"

Hange and Yosefina subtly glanced at each other. Both confused whether to laugh or be concerned. It was odd for them to see Thia so introverted.

"Of course," Hange grinned. "You don't even have to line up for food." She pushed a full tray of food towards Thia.

"How did you know I was going to come in?"

"We didn't; we just got an extra tray every time for when you did."

Thia's heart swelled, but her stomach turned with guilt. It was wrong of her to push away Yosefina and Hange when they had done nothing wrong. She took a seat, quickly taking bites of her meal.

"What were you talking about before I got here?"

"Just time of the month shit, it's just so irritating," Yosefina answered, her hand landing on her lower abdomen.

"You only shit once a month? That can't be normal?" Hange spat out the water she was drinking, bursting in laughter at Thia's words.

"No, No," Yosefina's hand waved as she tried to speak through her laughter. "I mean like period." Thia's eyebrows raised, confused. Then Yosefina calmed down, leaning forward to be more discreet. "You know when you bleed?" Thia's eyebrows furrowed together. "From your, down there."

"You bleed from there?" Thia sounded as though she got told the most disgusting thing. "Have you got that checked?"

Yosefina and Hange exchanged confused glances.

"You don't bleed from down there?" Hange asked.

"No," Thia chuckled as if it was a practical joke. "why would I?"

Yosefina and Hange did not know what to say. They had never met a woman before who did not have their period yet. And even if Thia did not have it, she did not even know what it was.

"Hey, Hange," a soldier called for her. "Erwin wants to see you."

"Right, well, I'll see you later." Hange waved them goodbye before throwing their food away in the trashcan.

Yosefina pushed past the 'period' situation; it'll be a discussion for the future. But, for now, she needed to be a good friend.

"How are you feeling?" Yosefina's voice had an unusual motherly tone to it.

"Better..." Thia mumbled, a bag of guilt building in her stomach. "I'm sorry for blocking you out," she added, hoping an apology would help.

"You don't have to be sorry."

"I do...I locked you out for no reason. You did nothing wrong..."

"You needed time." Thia grew silent. Looking down at her untouched food. "Levi told me everything." Thia grew pale. "I couldn't help but have a few questions when it happened."

"E-everything..."

"Yeah," Yosefina smiled softly. "About your instinct. And your name, Thia." Thia felt to throw up. "I don't know why you dislike it so much." And then, her throat became dry," I think it's a beautiful name," her hands became clammy, "even if it's just a middle name."