PROLOGUE

PROLOGUE

My tears flowed down my cheeks, and I cried uncontrollably. The overwhelming mix of emotions caused my whole body to tremble. It's a common misconception these days that when a bride cries, it must be tears of joy. But for me, it was a torrent of agony and despair. The thought of my groom potentially abandoning me at the altar to marry a girl whose appearance mirrored that of a Barbie doll weighed heavily on my heart. Yet, as the whispers of doubt surrounded me, I realized that not all assumptions hold. People with starry eyes tend to spin tales far from reality, possibly including myself, for the real truth behind my tears lies in a different revelation.

"May I take your hand?" His unexpected voice cut through the solemn air, propelling me into shock.

I struggled to grasp the meaning behind his words. It unravelled before me - I was about to wed a man I barely knew.

Three Weeks Ago

"Thank you!" I expressed with genuine gratitude. My voice filled with joy as I clutched the copy of Pride and Prejudice that Mrs Jenkins had gifted me. Her benevolent smile revealed the years of wisdom etched upon her face, accompanied by an unwavering kindness that warmed my heart. When I left the library that day, my soul was uplifted by a string of victories: A+'s across all classes, emerging victorious in the storytelling contest, securing the title of Student of the Month for the 17th time, mastering complex piano chords, and finally, receiving a thoughtful gift from Mrs Jenkins.

Time slipped away unnoticed as I delved into the world of literature, only realizing the setting sun's descent when I glanced out of the window. The generosity of the day had left me in a state of euphoria, with no other commitments looming ahead. Stepping out into the cool evening breeze, fatigue set in as reality clashed with the day's achievements.

After a brief drive, I found myself in front of Starbucks, craving warmth to counter the chilly air. The deserted coffee shop offered solace amid the stillness. Savouring the aroma that danced from the two coffees cradled in my hands, I was abruptly interrupted by the sight of a striking figure leaning against a silver porsche. His piercing gaze met mine with a smile, painting the evening with a mysterious allure.

"Good evening, Ms. Smith," his voice echoed, ushering in a wave of uncertainty that left my heart trembling with anticipation.

My whirlwind of emotions continued, leading me towards a path where the unknown awaited, intertwined with the threads of fate, weaving a tale beyond my comprehension.