Chapter 9

"I'm leaving Moomin Valley tomorrow."

"What!" Moomin was taken aback. "B-but you just returned! You can't go, not yet." Budding tears appeared in Moomin's blue eyes and Snufkin looked at him sympathetically. Snufkin dried Moomin's tears with the hem of his dress. "Don't worry Moomin," comforted Snufkin, sharing out the leftover picnic food, "I'll be back in Spring. You won't even notice I've gone."

Anger and frustration welled up in Moomin and burst out from inside him like a firework. "No! Won't let you," Moomin grabbed hold of Snufkin's yellow scarf and burying his face into it. "Get off Moomin," grumbled Snufkin and with some difficulty he managed to pry Moomin's paws off his scarf, "I'm leaving no matter what you say. I have to."

Moomin watched as Snufkin flung his bag over his shoulder and drew himself up to full height. Oh how Moomin admired Snufkin, who could leave Moomin Valley with only a moment's notice. Oh be he also hated him for.

🦊

Moomin had been right to worry.

For winter was just around the corner and Snufkin had gone already.

And as he lay in that field, listening to the depressing birdsong, watching the last of the leaves crumple up and fall down he couldn't help but think,

Oh Snufkin. I'm sorry.

🦊

Only one more chapters to go and then it is the end.