Hide & Seek

As I walked out of the classroom with Noah beside me, I remembered what Asher had requested. He would be looking out for me. What if he came up to meet me? If he saw me with Noah, he would freak out and I wouldn't get the chance to explain...

"What's going on in your mind?" Noah interrupted my thoughts. He laughed and added, "You look funny when you scowl".

"Huh? Noth--", I had begun to say when I spotted a dark blue denim jacket in the crowd, he was trying to push his way through towards our class room.

"Oh shit" I cursed, grabbing Noah's hand.

"What are you doing?" Noah asked, dumbfounded as I tugged him along with me towards the classroom on the opposite side.

I didn't even check if the classroom was empty before entering it and slamming the door shut with a loud bang.

"What's the matter?" someone shouted from behind us. Noah turned around while I stood frozen in place. I heard some students whispering in the classroom.

"You, you're the new student right?". It was unmistakably a teacher's voice.

Okay here it goes. I just wasn't gonna let Noah fall in trouble because of me.

I turned around. Fortunately, it was
Mrs. Archer , who had not taken my class since 8th grade. But, ofcourse, she recognized me instantly. Several students gasped.

"Uh-- Miss Carnell? What are you doing here?" she asked after staring at me for a moment.

I said the first thing that came to my mind, "Good morning, Mrs. Archer."

She didn't wish us good morning but looked at out faces with a confused and irritated expression. I knew she wouldn't let us go until we have explained ourselves.

"I'm so sorry, Mrs. Archer, I was just helping Noah find his classroom", I tried to look innocent as I narrated my poor quality made up story. "It was getting late, and we lost our way in the rush". 

She raised one eyebrow to tell us she wasn't buying that bullshit. "I'm sure Mr. Steele can find his way around a school without a guide, is that right Mr. Steele?"

I looked up at Noah's face, his expression gave nothing away. "Yes ma'am I could", he said as I fought to control my horror. Was he gonna tell the truth?

"But I got late while talking to my new friends, so Rachel offered to take me to my next class". The way he said that, I almost believed him myself.

I looked at Mrs. Archer and nodded slightly to support his statement.

She stared at us for what seemed to be forever before saying, "Fine, get to your classes now, both of you."

We didn't waste another second standing there.

I was partly running through the mostly empty hall until I noticed that Noah was just behind me. I stopped walking suddenly causing him to almost bump into me. His clothes surprisingly smelled of mint.

"Why are you following me?" I asked irritably, although I knew it was Noah who should be pissed at me.

He cocked his head to one side, smirking. "Well, aren't you supposed to show me the classroom?"

I rolled my eyes. "Drop the joke already. You shouldn't be late today, this is your first day, Noah."

"Yeah and that's why I don't know where my next class is", he shrugged.

Mrs. Archer was right, he could absolutely find his way around the school himself.

"Ugh, fine! What do you have?"