Chapter 18: Sober Party Pt.2

TW//

Mentions of suicidal thoughts please read at your own risk

-----------------------------------------------------------

Eli ran upstairs, the living room is just a tad bit too crowded for him. He couldn't breathe properly, the smell of alcohol mixed with sweat attacking his nostrils.

The headache inducing sound of the music making his visions blurry even without the help of alcohol. He stumbled his way towards the veranda.

Once he closed the glass sliding door, the deafening music turned quieter. He released a sigh of relief, peering over the metal fence of the veranda. The coldness of the metal touching Eli's bare arms. 

The party is in full blast and Eli knows that he might sound like a total killjoy but all he really wanted to do is just go home and sleep or lay underneath his cozy warm blanket and wallow in self-pity.

'just because.' Confusing words from an increasingly confusing guy. All Eli really wanted is to live a simple life with no unnecessary drama, at least until he graduates high school.  But all because of the accident and the coma, his life quiet literally turned upside down. 

"Conceal. Don't feel. Don't let it show." he whispered to himself, as if he was an ice queen with superhuman powers. All he had to do is keep his head down, graduate high school and then maybe with any luck he wouldn't have to see Mateo ever again. 

The sliding door opened, startling Eli, he turned around. It was Luke. Another guy that he definitely didn't want to see, most especially at a party.

"What are you doing here?" 

"Uhhh Do you know where the bathroom is?" Luke asked, his hand still holding the door as he peek through the opened slit. 

Eli pointed towards the bathroom in the other side of the hallway. Luke  stared at it for a moment, intending to walk towards it but Eli cut him off. 

"Don't bother, I saw a couple go inside. It's gonna be a few minutes before that opens up" he muttered, offering a small smile.

"Shit" Luke cursed, sighing. He hovered at the door, still not moving from his place. He looked at Eli again.  "Do you mind if I join you?" 

Eli chuckled slightly. "No offence but the last time we were alone at a party we almost died." He raised his eyebrows at Luke.

"That won't happen again." Luke's voice was quiet, filled with regret. And for some reason, even if Eli doesn't want to, he can't help but feel bad for him. 

"I was just kidding." He moved his head into a 'come here' gesture and Luke immediately went outside the veranda and closed the sliding door behind him.

"I hadn't had a single drink, you know." The Student Body President said, he rested his arms on the cold metal fence, copying Eli's posture. "It's part of my sobriety; my probation."

Eli raised his eyebrows again, intrigued. "Why are you at a party then?" 

The boy took a deep sigh, staring at the empty street in front of  them.

"I just need to escape. I can't stand my father's disappointed face anymore." Eli looked at him, surprised at what he just said. Is it because of the accident?

Eli could relate though. He also finds himself escaping his house whenever his father looked at him in a certain way, in a way that said 'I don't love you' or 'you disappoint me' it gets really tiring to see that everyday.