Chapter 1

It's an odd feeling being underwater, it's not uncomfortable if you're expecting it. I expect it most mornings and afternoons, it's one of the few parts of my reality that I look forward to. 

Forcing myself to feel something other than resentment, anger or loneliness.

My reality.

If you were to look at my life from the outside you'd likely come to the conclusion that I'm just a poor little rich girl who is unhappy with her lot in life. Truth be told, I am unhappy. Before you jump to conclusions however, let me give a quick explanation of what it's like to live as Leah Munroe.

Sixteen years ago I was born to two parents who loved me, I assume they loved me. Why would you have a kid together if you didn't love each other, yourself and them eventual kid? Anyway, they brought me into the world and not long after my dad split. Mom doesn't give any particular reason, she actually gives no reasons for why he left other than it didn't work out.

I've always accepted that explanation, that things between them never worked out. But in my dad leaving me...my mom left too.

See, one of them is wealthy.

Wealthy enough that I have a nanny, a butler and a maid that live in with me full time. To me, Margaretta, my nanny has always been my mom. She's been there when I've gotten in trouble, when I've needed hugs or medical attention. She's attended every single one of my surfing competitions, she's helped negotiate some of the minor contracts that I've been offered.

My birth mom?

Jenny's paid for everything with little or no question. She keeps money in my credit card, more than I would ever need but her motto is...you never know. I always know how much I'll need, I never get carried away with spending her money. The thought is always sour in my mouth when I think about the money Jenny so readily has available for me, she's my mother and my provider and yet she's neither of those things.

A chill runs down my spine and I realize I've spent enough time in the water for the morning, Jenny flew in late last night. Lord knows what she's doing here in California but yet her presence in the house has sent everyone into overdrive, I guess the last week of school is a big deal and she wants to make sure I'm doing well enough that she can start loosening some of the restrictions she's put on me and my 'staff'.

Truth be told the staff are more family than any family I've ever had, including Jenny.Paddling into shore I'm surprised to see Jenny standing there with a light blanket wrapped around her shoulders, she's never been one to watch me surf and has never waited for me to come in. And yet when I approach her she offers me my usual towel, I don't question it and take it to wrap around me.

"What are you doing awake so early? You got in really late last night." I try not to keep tabs on Jenny but something about the question and statement brings an odd expression to her face.

"I always admire your dedication to surfing." Was all she said, which confused me. Jenny knows my surfing routine? I mean, I shouldn't be surprised...Retta and Abigail likely keep her updated on progress and whatever else satisfies her curiosity but hearing any sort of praise or positivity coming from Jenny is like a bolt of lightning on a clear day.

"Ugh, thanks." I head up to the house without another word to shower and ready for one of my last days at school for the year before summer break. I've made no plans for summer other than surfing all day and spending time out with a few close friends.

When I'm freshly washed and in a pair of ripped and faded jeans, a plain white t-shirt, sunglasses and sneakers I head downstairs for breakfast. It's still fairly early in the morning, so I have a lot of time to eat breakfast and get everything ready for the school morning.