An Incredible Mom I Know

I was in high school when Deva born. He is my little cousin, the tiny bundle of naughtiness and fun. Aunt gave him birth in her 30s, he was their third son and he came to our life when the couple expected a cute girl child since the two elder ones were boys. But in any way, babies are happiness, a gift from God, a kind reward from the almighty. 

  He had a big head and a thin body when he was born, the condition was 'hydrocephalus', he had an excess amount of cerebrospinal fluid in his head that even blocked his vision. That was a time when our grandma was super healthy and cheerful, she took good care of him restlessly. She was optimistic as my aunt that he can be healed and she always used to massage his tender baby head in a special way thinking that it could fix him. But nothing helped. 

  All the normal growth stages were late for him. The only thing he recognised was sounds, when someone held him silently he used to circulate his tiny fingers around their face in order to recognise. In the meantime, we approached various health specialists but the replies were similar that they can conduct a surgery but can not ensure the result. That's when we heard about an Ayurvedic master, but it needed a lot of patience and perseverance. 

  Everyone around discouraged but aunt stuck on, I remember people talking 

"they could have not gone for a third baby"

"they could have taken that fifty-fifty chance suggested by the doctors"

"How could they manage all the expenses?"

"they are simply wasting their money, nothing is gonna work" 

and what not!! But all these "could have" and "could" did not stop her, how can a mother leave her child to fate?! 

  When the other infants giggled back for the peek-a-boos he scrambled his little palms against the air. When toddlers of his age started sprinting, he gently moved his tiny feet one by one holding the wall behind since he was unable to detect. but whenever he touched or heard his mom he had that special blush on his rosy cheeks and that might have been the only thing that inspired her to strive. 

  All the families and friends continued chattering behind, some people even didn't hesitate to say that they couldn't find any progress. But she kept trying and pushing her limits. Within a few months we identified a small change on his head, it started dwindling slowly by draining out the fluid through excretions. One fine day he gently shrank his starry eyes and twinkled against a beam of glint. The happiness and excitement my aunt had that day were unexplainable. 

  She celebrated all his slight progress and found happiness even in the little things. He gradually started identifying faces with his blurred vision and his treatments are still progressing. I have never seen her complaining about what life bought her or sobbing about her deceased kid. instead, she thanked God for all His blessings and yeah, Sometimes we have to just breathe and blindly trust the process even if that questions our tolerance as she did. As they say  "God will only give you what you can handle".

  Writing this watching our 7-year-old little Deva cycling in front of me like an expert I realise,

"He might not be an ordinary child but he has got an extraordinary mom by his side."

If she is not an angel, I don't know who it is!!