Chapter Ten: 'A LIFE-CHANGING KISS.'

Aurora woke up to the bus stopping at its destination. She peered out the window and read the sign as best as she could. During her time here, she'd been able to pick up a few key Italian words. However, the sign was a bit more advanced and so all she got was the name of the city, Belpasso. Hesitantly, she stepped off the bus and looked around. The city was busy like any other and through all the chatter, all she could hear was Italian. With an exaggerated sigh, she turned to the stolen bag and pulled out a cell phone. She smiled when it had no lock and service. She quickly located a small motel that was an hour away from where she was. She called an uber and once it arrived, she left the phone behind, smashing it under her heel as she climbed inside.

Within the hour, she'd arrived at one of the smallest motels she'd ever seen in her entire life called Sallor, owned by a kind old lady whose eyes lit up at the sight of her pregnant belly."It's been so long since I've been around a pregnancy. How are you and the child doing dear?" She cheerily asked her. "Oh dear, you look exhausted and hungry. Let's get you in a room. My establishment isn't at its best but I'll give you the best one I have." 

She was given the best room they had for half the price and the promise that she could go to her if she needed anything.  Aurora settled as best as she could in the small room. However, the chipped walls and the bed as hard as stone, made it difficult for her. But survival didn't mean comfort so she made it work. If she'd hidden in a five-star hotel, she'd be broke and homeless on the streets sooner than she'd like.

As the night fell, she forced her eyes shut with the intent to buy a few things for herself in the morning. In her mind, she thought of many scenarios of what happened today. That attack was a surprise and maybe there were enough of Andre's men in the country to overthrow the Romanos. They could be searching for her now or the Romanos won and were searching instead. The hope would be that they murdered each other in their war, freeing her from the obligations they forced on her, but life was never that kind to her... and for some reason, she wouldn't have liked it either.

***

She managed to sleep for a few hours before a crash woke her. Quickly, she ran to the door and peeled open her curtains. There wasn't an army of Spanish men looking to torture and kill her, instead, it was a single Lamborghini that had pulled up, accidentally hitting the trash can. Her heartbeat accelerated when Matteo and Demetrius climbed out of the car.

They walked into the reception area, giving her the chance to book it. However, she knew that she would be more vulnerable than she already was—she wouldn't be able to survive being hunted by them right now. There was a chance that Matteo would still kill her now but going back to them was her best option. With a heavy heart, she stuffed the rest of the cash in her dress pocket and made her way to the first floor. Their heads were turned but she could hear them cursing the old woman who owned and ran the place.

"Listen to me old bitch. Either you tell me which room this woman is in or we empty a clip in every room. Your business would sink under such a massacre," Matteo growled with an evil grin.

"Please... I've never seen the girl... just please leave." 

She eyed her with alarm, indicating that she ran. Aurora was touched by her kindness but shook her head as she walked inside. "There's no need to harass the poor lady, pendejos. (assholes)"

Their eyes widened as they turned. That was the last thing they expected her to do.

"Before you jump to conclusions, I wasn't backing out on our deal. I didn't know how to get back to that mansion of yours and it wouldn't have been wise to stay anyway... I didn't know if you'd been overrun and I didn't want to die." 

She shrugged her shoulders, exhausted and defeated. They could see the restlessness in her eyes and the way she nearly stumbled as she waited for Matteo's rebuttal. The sight made him grit his teeth and turn away from her. Once again, he felt bad for the young woman.