Chapter 31

"Kamala?" Gemini said. "What are you doing here?" He started moving towards me, but was stopped in his tracks when Murre pounced on something right in front of him. We all watched as she lifted her talons and found nothing there, which seemed to confuse her. She then bounded off to another part of the room.

Gemini looked at me, confusion written all over his face. "Who..." he looked over at Murre, then back at me again. "What...?"

I shook my head. "It's complicated. I'll explain later."

He nodded slowly, then turned back to his aunt, who had cleared her throat to get his attention again. "You wanted to speak with me, Gemini?"

He moved towards her quickly. "Aunt Zodiac, what is Kamala doing here? What...what is going on?"

As he reached her throne, they started speaking in hushed whispers. I was curious as to what they were talking about, but I knew better than to try to overhear them. Glancing to the side, I could see the same small battle warring in Virga's mind. She seemed to push it aside, instead focusing her attention on Murre.

Next to Virga, Xenops sat staring, unwavering, at the two speaking. His eyes narrowed, and he muttered something about hybrids. I wasn't able to wonder at what it was because his cold gaze turned to me. I looked away quickly, uncomfortable under the scrutiny.

"Well," said Zodiac, startling me out of my thoughts. "I need some time to consider the situation. Virga, Xenops, please take the hybrid--"

"Kamala," said Gemini. "Her name's Kamala." He glanced over at me with a small smile, then looked back at Zodiac. I felt a small flutter inside of me.

"Yes," she said, looking curiously at him. "Please take Kamala to one of the caves in the guest wing. Report back to me when you have done so."

The two nodded simultaneously, then directed me towards the large entryway. I called Murre over, and she scuttled towards me, tripping over her tail. She picked herself back up, then started running small circles around my forearm. "Mala, Mala."

I moved my arm, stopping her in her tracks. She looked up at me and I smiled at her. "C'mon. We're going somewhere new." I motioned to the entryway.

She bounded off in that direction, and Virga chuckled at her antics, following closely behind her. I did so as well, looking back only once. My eyes met Gemini's. He seemed to be calculating something, though what it was I had no idea. Instead, I felt the small flutter inside of me again. The corners of my mouth twitched upward, but I forced them to stay down. What's going on with me?

I broke eye contact then, and rounded the corner, feeling slightly lighter inside than I had in a while.