The Hospital

"Wake up!" A girl's voice awoke the man sleeping on the side of the street. His eyes opened, and the sun shined in his face like an eclipse around the girl's figure. 

"Are you going to lay here all day?"

"Where am I?" the man asked, sitting up. Thomas realized he was sleeping on the roadside; no cars were in sight. The reality of his situation was sinking in, bringing its own questions: where am I? How did I get here? How long have I been here, and why am I sleeping in the street? "Who are you?"

"I try not to tell strangers too much information." the girl said as she offered her hand to help him up. She had long red hair that fell into her face as he rose.

"If you never talk to strangers, even to tell them your name, how will anyone get to know you?" Thomas said, brushing off his clothes.

"I hadn't thought of it that way." She paused, considering his statement. "My name is Emmi." This was a strange day for Emmi. She was just out and about when she stumbled across this man, and he was ruining any attempt she made to be funny.

"I'd still like to know where I am?" Thomas looked around for some clue as to where he was.

"I didn't see a street sign; I was just going on a walk." her face spoke volumes; she didn't know or care."Right, do you know what time it is?" she looked up at the sky instead of at a phone or watch. Thomas noticed that the sky was tinted red, not just the sky; the clouds and the sun all had this red hue.

"I'd say half past." There was no context. Half past what? Did she even know, or was she just messing with him? She left him trying to riddle that out in the most obnoxious manner of skipping.

"Hey, wait, wait!" he caught her arm as she swung it back and forth. She spun around, her red dress flared out as she went.

"You're hurting me," Thomas released her. "what do you want?"

"I need your help; please, there is somewhere I have to be." there was a strange desperation inside of him; he knew he was missing something important.

"How could I possibly help you?" she asked as she rocked back and forth on her heels.

"I don't know, but I need to get somewhere."

"You are awfully grumpy, Thomas, you know that?" the wind blew so strong that a branch broke off a tree and landed where they were standing. Thomas knocked the two of them to the side, and they went sprawling on the ground together. I inspected the branch that nearly killed them. The red leaves rustled about as the wind blew, but it was lighter this time. Something felt genuinely wrong. He just kept staring until it came to him."I thought it was spring?" Thomas asked

"It is spring."

"Maybe I should go to the hospital."

"I don't like the hospital."

"No, I need to go to the hospital; that was where I was going before..."

"Ok, well, I'll leave you to that."

"Please, are you familiar with this area? Can you help me get there?" Emmi was frustrated. Did she not just say that she does not like hospitals. Now, he wants her to be his tour guide. Something was pleading in his eye. She recognized it from when she first got here.

"I guess I can help if you want?"

"Thank you, my name is Thomas." She jumped into the air, grabbed a tree branch, and pulled herself up to sit on a branch. 

"I'll take you to the hospital, but I'm not going in, ok?"

"Why, what's wrong with hospitals?"

"It is not hospitals, just this one I don't like. But that is a story for another time. Right now, we need to get you where you're going."