Epic of Solin

Cerridwen came storming home from school, so upset that magic collected rain clouds in her wake, and the wind blew strong enough to shake the trees. She crossed streets without looking, fashioning a hit me, I dare you attitude. This was an awful end to a horrible week. The demon she was hunting got away; her sister was here, and now her schoolwork was suffering. She pounded up the street to the skinny house on the triangle block corner where she lived. Slamming the old doors to the house so hard that the antique pains rattled in a way that made the rest of the house think they might shatter. Cerridwen kicked her shoes off the front staircase as she walked to the dining room. Miguel's head was dipped so low in concentration that his black hair hung in his eyes while he stared at his laptop.

"Rough day?" He asked, closing his laptop to smirk at her. "I see you decided to bring the rain to the house because we needed the water damage," Cerridwen screamed in frustration. Then looked up to dismiss the small cloud forming on the ceiling. Then, she reached behind to ring out the water from her brown-red hair. Ida came running into the room. Her long, colorful dress caught around her ankles as she came to see what was the matter. Ida had hair piled on her head with a yellow bandana wrapped around it to keep it out of her sharp-featured face. She slipped a bit in her rush to check on them.

"I'll get some paper towels," Ida said and returned to the kitchen. She returned from the kitchen as Cerridwen leaned over the table, pointing a finger at Miguel. You could see through the leggings she always wore that her muscles were taut, ready to pounce.

"Listen here, human, I don't need this today, and unless you are volunteering to help me work off some of my anger in the basement, I suggest you shut up." Miguel rose to his feet, unbuttoning the cuffs of his white shirt and rolling it to his elbows.

"Miguel, what have I said about antagonizing her," Ida interrupted. "Could you act like an adult, please? Cerri, do not threaten people in my house." As Ida started to wipe up the mess, she said, "Cerri, if you tell us what is wrong, we could help."

"Oh, I can tell you what is wrong, it's a crap week, and my English teacher is an idiot. She gave us an assignment to write about our favorite myth, and I picked one about Solin. I got the paperback, and she gave me a zero because the point was to use an existing myth and not to make up our own story. Can you believe that she accused me of making up the Solin myths? She had never heard of them."

"Solin myths?" Miguel asked, "Never heard of them."

"You either?" Cerridwen sighed, "You don't have those stories in the human world?"

"No, but why is it so important? You could do the paper over using a different myth." Ida suggested. "I'm sure Steven is at the bookstore down the street and might be able to help you find one you like."

"And then maybe you could focus on things that are actual problems in your life. Just a suggestion, of course; it is your life." Miguel laughed at her.

"Are you so arrogant to believe that only humans have myths and stories? Witches have stories we pass down explaining our world and culture just like humans do." Cerridwen responded.

"Well, if this story is soooo great, why don't you prove it?" Miguel baited her.

"Solin was involved in many adventures, but I will tell you my favorite: Solin the Avenger.

"***Solin was walking around the city of West Valley with his hunting band. Through the shit and mud streets between piles of rubble that had once been homes and stores. The recent dragon attacks had driven the new construction for residents to live in. Solin's hunting band comprised 17 of the strongest and bravest men in the land. Who had risen to defend those who remained in this land from the creatures of darkness? The triple goddess has blessed them in their endeavor.The hunters were patrolling the city, looking for danger, when Lord Withum appeared in Solin's path, stopping their progress.