What Would Have Happened: Chapter 10

Justin and I are silent the rest of the way back to the house, and all I can think about is if he knows. Does he know I'm gay? Does he know Alexander is manipulating us all? Does he know we're trying to tear him down without any reason why? And mostly, am I brave enough to tell Justin everything that's going on or do I have to hide this dark part of myself like I do to everyone else?

***

"So, here we are," Justin states.

Justin shifts the gears of his truck into park. I peer outside the window. Before me stands a two story house with four windows and a peaked roof just like every other house on the street. I'm sure if this was someone's nightmare for conformity back in the 1950s, but right now it's just something none of us really ever think about. The only thing that's different from the rest of the houses is a tile stone path winding its way from the street to the parking garage too which feels oddly ominous.

Although Justin's house looks like all the ones beside it, there's an uneasiness to my stomach as I prepare to enter this particular home.

Snapping my out of my thoughts, Justin says,

"Just a fair warning, my dad and mom work late shifts. My brother, even though he's in college and is a commuter, feels the need to take care of me when they're gone. So, if he's a little rough around the edges take him with a grain of salt."

I take my time turning my head to look at Justin's golden irises. How can he so casually give me this kind of news? My heart rate picks up from a fast beat to one going so fast Usain Bolt would have a hard time catching up to it. Instead I ,shrug my shoulders and say,

"That's cool. My mom works late shifts, she's a nurse, so I understand. I don't have any siblings though."

Justin grits his teeth,

"Consider yourself lucky then."

My eyebrows shoot up instinctively. This feels like the part of a horror movie where the main character is about to get into some deep shit and could have avoided it if they heeded the warnings of someone around them. Justin doesn't seem to notice my apprehension as he gets out of the car. I unbuckle my seatbelt, and just when I'm about to open my car door, Justin beats me to it.

Heat rises to my cheeks, and I can't help but feel like a princess being waited on.

Justin smirks,

"The least I could do is open your door for you after I practically forced you into hanging out with me."

My jaw opens to speak words but none come out. Even though the gesture is so small as to opening a fucking door, I can feel my eyes becoming glassy with tears begging to me poured out of me. I can't decide whether it would be appropriate that all my fantasies are spiralling towards me trying to kiss Justin.

I try to sober up at the thought and how inappropriate it is. Especially because Justin is one of the first people who has actually wanted to be my friend in a while.

So, I hop out of the car as Justin leads the way towards his front door. Abruptly, Justin stops. He quickly turns, and there's a look like a deer in headlights trapped on his face. He looks like he's about to speak then reconsiders and shuts his mouth. Right when I think he's about to walk towards his front door, he stops, turns, and looks at me again. We stand in silence for a moment until finally Justin says,

"You have to understand while I did just joke about my brother being like a second parent. He might try to intimidate you." Justin pasues, looks at the space between my feet (not my eyes), then continues, "I know I came off like I just happened to move schools and homes, but the real reason was because I was practically forced out of Bucks County Highschool, so there might be a good reason my brother will be harsh."