PROLOGUE

They say first borns are the wisest. Last borns are rebellious. The kids in the middle? Both. A dangerous mixture of wise and rebellious. Maybe it's from the lack of attention growing up. Maybe it's from the identity crisis of trying to be like one of your other siblings. Or maybe it's just science. They say middle childs are the most mysterious born as well. Having to hide your life from one sibling is hard enough, hiding it from two seems almost impossible. They're the type of mysterious when you're around them, you feel like you're getting your blood sucked dry.

Literally.

Kind of like...

Vampires.

Vampires have existed for centuries. They've always been a mystery to human publicity as if they're real or not. Maybe it was the way their eyes glowed a little too blue or their skin aged a little too perfect. Without a coverup, it's almost impossible to never be exposed. In the vampire world, there are two covens. The Cunningham Coven and The Covington Coven. The Cunningham Coven are the strongest, most elite vampires. The Covington Coven is where you would say the weak, lower class vamps go.

The Cunningham Coven is led by Sir Hiram Stallard. Oldest vampire in the species. Some say he was made in a lab from a bad Frankenstein type of experiment. But as vampires we all know he was made from a witch.

Hiram has three children. You are probably wondering how he has children when vampires can't procreate. That's simply a myth created by the human race to make them seem superior. Vampires can procreate. But how? Aren't they technically dead? Well, yes. Yes and no. Your body stops aging. You are super strong with all these powers and ignoring the obvious needing blood to survive part, being a vampire is quite the perfect host to carry a child.

No complications, no dying at childbirth. You bounce back quicker. Literally. Since vampires heal themselves, a woman can give birth and go back to fighting almost immediately.
However, the mother of Hiram's children was not a vampire.

She was human.

That's severely frowned upon in the vampire world. Humans vs Vampires has been an ongoing war for centuries. We're seen as monsters to the humans. Humans are seen as food to us.
Hiram is the oldest vampire....of the Cunningham Coven. At the time, the Covington Coven was the only vampire coven. Led by a bunch of snobby white collar vamp bureaucrats basically. The Covington Coven is led by Markus Beaumont and his three siblings.

Danai, Richmond and Frederick Beaumont.

Hiram was an only child. Parents died in a car accident shortly before he turned.. Ever since he was on his own.

Until he met Stella.

They had your typical vampire human love story. Fell in love got married type of thing. He wanted to turn Stella but she insisted on staying human. It was all fun and cute until the Covington Coven found out one of their own was fraternizing with a  human. Hiram kept her and the children a secret as long as he could.

One day, when Hiram got home from hunting he came home to find his house trashed. He heard his wife whimpering and saw the leader of their coven, bleeding her dry. Before Hiram could try and help her, he was being held down by three other vamps. Forced to watch the love of his life die.

Stella was smart though. She hid the children where the vamps wouldn't find them.

She hid them in the garden near the vervain. The vamps wouldn't dare go near it.