XLIX

"That looks really yum and festive, son!" Laura gushed, complimenting Jesse's Waldorf salad.

They were already setting the table for Christmas dinner. It has been quite a busy day. K and Jesse helped out with the food and decor, rambling about the kitchen, dining area and parlour room. Jesse offered help for almost about everything, and K's family really appreciated his efforts - with Laura constantly swooning how delightful he was, that she started to call him son. Mike and Kathleen did, too.

Mike was kind of a soul-reader himself, a trait he might have adapted from taking care of horses all throughout his life. He knew deep in his heart that Jesse was genuine and sincere, that it wasn't just for show. He felt how much he loved their dearest Kristen.

K couldn't hep but conk out, too. For the first time in her life, she felt so complete. It was ultimate, like she didn't need anything - or anyone else. Jesse was just a dream to her folks. She didn't see this side of him before, how easily he was able to get along with her family. She noticed how Mike and Jesse hit it off comfortably with each other as well, much to her relief.

They even shared some laughs and conversations during tea time, with Jesse all curious about horses and moose-hunting. He came clean about not knowing anything, which Mike really appreciated. He liked that K's boyfriend wasn't pretentious just to get to his heart. In return, he asked for Jesse's interests and line of work.

Mike was amazed that he built his own record label, he also shared that he was once an aspiring blues musician when he was still young. Things just didn't work out because the horse ranch was their family's priority, not music. Tea time ended with Mike playing Dean Martin's Baby, It's Cold Outside on their heirloom piano, he and his daughter Laura sang the duet.

Jesse was overwhelmed with the incredible happiness he was feeling. He missed being part of a family - and K's family treated him like he was their own. Everything felt perfect, like nothing could ever put out the sunshine from the sky.

"It's the least I could do," his humble reply to Laura.

"Oh, honey, you've helped enough," she assured, giving him a pat on the back. "We're just so glad you could spend the holidays with us." She crossed the kitchen's center island and went to the adjoining dining area to set food on the table. "Speaking of which, is your family alright with this? They might be missing you for Christmas." She stated simply.

Jesse followed her to the table, carrying the bowl of salad and tray of Kathleen's freshly-baked sourdough bread. "We're Jewish, actually. We don't celebrate Christmas but we're pretty much in for the festivities." he mumbled, a smile on his pretty face. "And it's just me and my dad now, my mom's passed away since I was a kid." He exacted, it was supposed to be a really sad fact. But with the way everything was going, he felt like it wasn't much of a blow to him than it should be.

"Oh, I'm sorry, Jesse," she sympathized, looking up at him with utmost sincerity. "Don't worry, son. Your mom's looking over you now like an angel. And you could do this with us every year, yeah? You and Kristen can come visit us over anytime. It's a nice change from all the horses prancing around the farm." She quipped and giggled, lifting up Jesse's spirits.

"Thank you," he breathed, almost a little teary-eyed as he rolled out the place mats. "This definitely won't be the last time we're visiting over." He guaranteed, letting out a sneaky foreshadowing of his and K's engagement.

K marched into the dining area, all-smiles as she carried the centerpiece for their Christmas table. Mike cut the trimmings and garlands from the Balsam fir tree in their backyard, while Kathleen decorated it with dried pinecones and berries. It looked so pretty, festive and Christmasy. It smelled so fresh, woody and minty, too. Nothing ever beats the scent of freshly-cut pine branches for a table setting. It just made the spread look so beautiful and organic.