3. Eggs, Eric and Explanation

Ellie’s POV

 I woke up that morning with a huge stomach ache. I walked downstairs and into the kitchen. I started to make eggs when I ran to the bathroom and slammed the door. Ew ew ew. Puking is probably the worst part of having cancer. It’s not bad anymore but I have a doctors appointment today so I’ll bring it up.

Ellie?” Someone yelled.

Of course. Only Harry would show up at this marvelous time of day. I got up and cleaned up my face and walked downstairs again.

 “Yes Harold?”

 “God Ellie. You look awful.”

 “Gee I thought I looked pretty good.” I said, my voice laced with sarcasm.

 He just laughed and walked to the fridge.

“What are you doing today El? Wanna hang out?” He asked.

“I would Haz but I can’t I have a doctors appointment to go to. Maybe later.”

“Okay call me when you’re done.”

“Kay I will. Bye Haz.” I say as he walks out the door.

----------------

I pulled into the parking lot and got out of my car. Slowly I walked towards the door. The lady at the front desk looked at me and I told her my name.

“Go sit down sweetie. It’ll be a few minutes.”

I made my way to the waiting area and sat down.

“What’s wrong with you?” A little voice said.

I turned around to see a little boy no older than 8.

“I have cancer. What about you? You look just fine.” I said smiling.

“You’re too pretty to have cancer. But I do too. I was diagnosed when I was 5.” He said slowly.

I smiled at his comment but then frowned. He’s so young. It’s really sad actually.

Soon my name was called and I waved goodbye.

“My name is Ellie and it was very nice meeting you.”

“Thank you I’m Eric. Bye Ellie.”

I got up and walked to the door with the doctor.

“Hello Ellie how are you?”

“I’m good I suppose. But this morning I started puking again.”

“Oh El. This could be a sign of a relapse.”

My whole world froze right there. You see I was diagnosed when I was 17 but apparently they caught it in time and took care of it. They always said there was a chance of relapsing but I didn't think it would actually happen. One by one my limbs fell limp and I crumbled to the floor. The doctor sat down with me and rubbed my back trying to calm me down.

“Ellie come on. We don’t know for sure yet. Let’s run some tests and we’ll see.”

I nodded and followed her to a room I knew too well. I sat down in the chair as she set up the tests.

----------------

I walked towards my car, tears still streaming my face. I’ve been at the hospital all day waiting for the results. They finally came in. I’ve relapsed. And I don’t know how I’m gonna leave Harry.

I drove home and parked my car in the garage. Trying to find my keys as I shut the car door. The door easily opens and I’m confronted with the smell of food.

“Hello?”

“Hello love. I made you dinner.”

“Thanks Harry but I’m not hungry.”

“El c’mon you have to eat something.”

Tell him Ellie. Tell him you have cancer. No I can’t. It will tear him apart.

My inner thoughts were battling while I just blurted out.

“Harry I need to tell you something very important.”

The thing that happened next tore my whole world apart.