Nine

While Linda was getting the tests done (which Danny knew would take a few hours), he took that opportunity to go home and shower. He was ecstatic and worried at the same time. Linda was alive and seemed to be on a good, albeit confused, path to physical recovery. She was very clingy and very confused, but Danny was willing to hold her and be there for her, all while exposing the things she didn't understand.

He was worried, though, because she experienced an enormous trauma. He wondered if PTSD would kick in, or if her memory would be restored, or even if she could function normally ever again. Henry had told him the memory loss was temporary, but what if it wasn't? What if she never truly remembered him or Jack or Sean and their life together? She had a good life behind her, and Danny knew she had a good life ahead of her.

Danny stepped into the shower, smiling as memories of shared showers flooded his mind. Some of the showers were leisurely, maybe after Sean's hockey game or Jack's basketball game. Some of the showers were hot, filled with moans and his name reverberating off the walls, like when he had surprised her when he came back for the last time from Fallujah or after a romantic dinner date. Some where frantic, like when she was kidnapped or when he was in jail for something he didn't do.

It seemed like only yesterday he was washing her hair, while she talked about something trivial like new drapes or coasters. She had gasped when he put his hands over her breasts, but was instantly relaxed. That was the morning of the accident.

Danny decided he needed to shower quickly, or he'd cry again like he did on the way home. He didn't want Linda to know he had been crying, because he had to be positive for her. He wasn't sure she fully grasped the gravity of the situation, but either way, he needed to be there fore her.

He knew she had at least two more weeks in the hospital, mainly for observation. Her casts should becoming off soon, but he wasn't sure if bodies healed in comas, so she could be stuck with them for a while longer.

*********

"Danny," Linda smiled at him, wiping her tears. She was back in the hospital bed, but in her own pajamas instead of the itchy gown. "Your... someone gave me these pajamas." She grabbed the hem of her shirt and pulled, "aren't they cute?"

Danny smiled at the NKOTB T-shirt and plaid pink pajama pants combination Erin had picked out. Apparently, she had come to get the pajamas while he was showering. Also, he must've fallen asleep after changing into his orange sweater and jeans, because it was many hours later.

"Why the tears?" He sat on the bed, wiping the leftover tears from her cheeks.

She hung her head, "you didn't wait for me."

His heart broke again for the umpteenth time that day. He took her hand in his, "I went home to change and get cleaned up a little. I've been so worried about you, I haven't been getting enough sleep. I guess I dozed off, huh?"

"You won't leave again?"

"No." He pushed her hair behind her ear, noting a scar in front of the ear. He wanted to inquire about it, but she probably didn't know it was there, and he didn't want to freak her out. "I will be right here."

She painfully, slowly, with great effort scooted enough so he had room to sit with her on the bed. "They say I need glasses. Someone is coming to show me some."

"You'd look cute in glasses. Sexy even."

She laid her hair against his shoulder, shifting slowly. "Danny? What's this.... NKOTB?"