Day One: Monster/Beast

A/N: I know this is kind of supposed to be for an evil LoZ character, but I wrote about wolf Link instead. :p I mean, he is a beast when he's a wolf, and the prompt includes beast, so...yeah. 

~~~

A howling cadence filled the air as he, the ranch hand turned beast, dropped back on his haunches, tilted his snout to the stars, and released a mournful tune of tragedy. He could feel the wind sifting through his fur, and the solid ground beneath his paws. A full, magnificent tail brushed the grass behind him, and pointed ears were alert to every sound. On his back rode the strange creature, Midna, her eerie chuckles occasionally filling the silence.

Link broke off the howling and dropped his head, his tail sagging in defeat. He wasn't sure what he had been howling about to begin with, but as he galloped through a clearing in Faron Woods, wind whistling in his ears and the moon shining round and full above him, he suddenly had a strong urge to make noise. Lots of it. So, ignoring Midna's various protests, he had come to a halt, tilted his head back, and released the song within him. For it did not feel merely like a howl, but rather like music, erupting from his throat and filling the night with a sighing melody. He was sure everything around him heard the song, too. The grassbent and whispered in the blast of his breath, the stars shone brighter and with a clearer silver light than before, and the trees stirred and creaked as his melody reached them.

Now he flicked his ears, lifting his head again, listening to the echoes of his song sifting through the air around him. He felt Midna shift, but it didn't seem to be out of impatience. In fact, she leaned forward and gently patted his neck. "That was nice," she said after a moment, which took him by surprise. That was so completely uncharacteristic of her that he felt almost nervous. But then she laughed and said, "We really should get going, though. There's more tears to collect!" She grasped the fur around his neck and shook his head a bit. "Go on, then."

Link huffed his indignation, pushed off his haunches, and was off, tearing over the grass to find more tears. His paws, large and sturdy, thudded against the earth with a rhythmic thumping, and his tail streamed out behind him. It wasn't all bad, really, being a beast. Some parts of it were even nice, talking to animals and feeling the land come alive within him. But there were other parts of him that desperately missed being human.

He slowed to a slow run as he reentered the trees, caught wind of a shadow insect ahead, and pounced, snarling as he sank his teeth into the glowing white creature and tore it apart. A blue orb of light rose from its carcass and entered his body, and he flicked his ears in satisfaction: only a few left now.

He resumed running through the woods, loping along with his tongue lolling out of his mouth and his eyes focused on the path ahead. He didn't know when he would go back to his human form, but for now he would have to accept that he was a beast.