Chapter One

Now that I am finally considered an adult and I have my high school diploma, I can start my life doing whatever I want. I can travel the world and be nomadic for a few years. Maybe I'll move to Italy or Spain and settle down living out my life drinking expensive wine with whomever I'd like in a big beautiful house. Maybe I'll go climb Mount Everest or maybe not because that sucks. The point I'm making is that I can finally start my real life. With a clean slate and a new reputation.

I graduated three months ago making it the end of August. Most people will be starting high school in a couple of days. I, however, am finally free from that hell that we'd been imprisoned in. I already saved up some money from bartending over this summer so that I can travel and experience new things. Being a female bartender gets you a lot of tips if you know how to do it correctly. I got a hundred dollar bill from some rich snob just because I flirted with his drunk self. I'm pretty sure he had already shown up drunk because I only remember him eating the peanuts in the bowl on the counter. So technically I got tipped just for flirting with him.

Finally having enough money to leave all I have to do is pack and break it to my father. I won't need much so I grab one large suitcase for everything I'll need. Gently, I toss the bag onto my bed and unzip it revealing an empty space for all of my things. Just as I pulled one of my drawers open from my chest of drawers Emma, my little sister, flings my door open making it hit the wall behind it. "How many times have I told you not to open my door so hard?" I scold Emma.

"What? That's the first time I've ever done that! And it was an accident!" She whines and stomps her foot. She folds her arms and pouts her lip as I walk over to her. I grab the door and shut it in front of us. "Where'd that come from then?" I ask her feeling annoyed. I gesture to the wall that the door had previously hit. Right where the door knob would land rested a dent in my white painted wall. The dent was so deep that you could actually call it a hole if you wanted to. On the floor lay a few new chipped pieces of my damaged wall.

"I don't know where that came from Spencer. Maybe you did it. I'm not strong enough to make a hole in your wall." Emma says snootily lifting her chin up high and placing her small hands on her hips.

"I know you aren't strong enough to do that in one try. That's from you doing it over and over creating this hole over time." I inform her. Emma scoffs at me and storms out of my room.

"Oh by the way Daddy wants to talk to you!" I hear Emma call as she ventures to her room. I sigh assuming she had tattled on me earlier for something like always. I set aside my packing for later and make my way to my father's office. I pass Emma's room on the way and see her sitting on the floor in front of her Barbie house with a doll in hand and she sticks out her tongue at me. When I enter his office I see him doing some kind of work on his computer. It was important I knew, because he was actually wearing his reading glasses.

Dad's office has massive bookshelves reaching all the way to the ceiling on the left and right walls. He has a desk that he keeps his computer on against the furthest wall from me with cabinets lining it. In front of his swivel chair was another desk that he usually did written work on placing his chair in the middle of the two desks. In front of his desk sat two red chairs for those that weren't him.

The squishy red chair in front of his desk beckoned me and so I slumped down onto it. Propping my feet onto his neat little desk I say, "You know, I've always liked a man in glasses. Looks very sophisticated. It's a good look." I grab a candy from the glass bowl and unwrap it. My father stops his work and turns around with a grin on his face. I place the candy in my mouth and smile back at him. My father really is a handsome man. Anywhere I go with him girls flock to him. They never approach, assuming I'm dating him or something. He never notices either way though. I believe that's a nerd thing; completely oblivious to not so subtle hints.