I Promise (#12 Adora's Belt Clip)

"Come on guys, if we're late to Scopia's first ball she is gonna kill us." Says Bow while taking Glimmer's arm locked with his, they both turn around and head to the door. Both Catra and me stare at them until they leave the room, by the time the door is finally closed my heart is already beating so hard and fast that I wonder if she can hear it, that's a thing I love and hate about her, I can't keep secrets from her, but at the same time I don't want to, I feel like I don't need to, besides, I'm terrible at lying. Still, I had to lie to her last night, when I gave her a piece of me and said it was a silly tradition couples did before balls, I couldn't do it, but right now I'm as ready as I'll ever be, there's no decision I'm most sure of taking that this one. 

Catra turns to me and offers me her hand, she has a kind look, the same gaze she had when we were kids, laughing for hours after we played a prank on one of the senior cadets, much older than us, but when it was just her and me, the world had no chance against us; the same glance she used to gave me when we stayed all night and the whisper would vanish, it was just us two and our heart beats pulsing at the same time, I couldn't hear it, but I could sense it on her hand, tightly wrap around mine, words would have been unnecessary, her eyes expressed everything I needed to know: "Nothing really bad can happen as long as we have each other", still rumbling on my mind, still giving me the same butterflies, the same warm feeling in my entire being, making me feel more alive than ever; she has the same gaze she had at the Heart, when she looked inside hers, left it opened and told me for the first time what we both have known for many years, since the moment we met. She's still laughing a bit from her childish game with Glimmer, gets herself together and says:

"Are you coming?" 

Those words finally make me realize why all of this looked so familiar and strange at the same time. This is the vision I had at the Heart, while being infected by Prime's virus, just this time this is really happening. I was so scared back then, I was ready to sacrifice my own life to make it all disappear, to save Etheria, to save my friends, to save… her. I was weakened, defeated, lost, submissive under Prime's control, looked at this very scene with so much hurt when I realized It wasn't real, that the possibility that I'd never see it, or live it was expanding by every second. That was the moment my entire life changed, or maybe when my reason for living changed it, either way she gave me the strength to choose to fight for my life, to fight for her, to change my destiny. I was so determined then to turn Prime's words into ashes long ago lost in the wind, as now I'm determined to change this narrative, I saw this scene before and I didn't like the ending. I can change that now, and so I do it. 

I started by taking Catra's hand, her touch is the final piece I needed, to give me courage, to light up into million fireworks the fire that was already burning inside of me, to blur away  any trace of nervousness or insecurity I had left thanks to my past. She's all I need, I promised a long time ago I would never leave her side, I intend to do good on that one, I intend to change my future, so that she can be with me in every step that we take forwards. That's why at the bare touch I know what I need to do, instead of just taking her hand I pull her in. 

I bring her to me, as she many times did in order to save my life before, right when I was about to fall of the cliff, when the fire illusion consumed me and she brought me to her back to the safe ground, when she stopped me from running towards the failsafe, when she brought me back to life driven by her heart, her love. I pull her in as I have done many times before, but this time I'm not saving her life, but I'm taking mine, because she is my life. I place my right hand on her cheek and the other one around her waist, a posture I'm so glad I'm used to by now, but that I enjoy every time as if it was the first occasion I do it. She seems a little surprised but not at all displeased by my sudden closeness, instinctively she parts her lips and takes air, a little gasp escapes from her mouth and my heart skips a beat at the sound. I stop my curse right when our noses are barely close to rub each other, she looks up from my teasing lips to my eyes, she takes both of her hands and gently rubs the sides of my face, stretching a bit until they are on the back of my skull. I still struggle to catch my breath when those golden and sapphire lights stare back at me, telling tales from our past, whispering vision for our future and finally yelling so many desires, wishes and promises that are occurring in our present, I couldn't ask for a better one. Before I begin with making the next one I allow myself to celebrate the ones we've made before, and to enjoy every little chance to remind each of it. I seal the deal by pulling her closer, closing the short distance between us and catching her lips on mine.