Chapter 20

Tate

Things had been better since I apologized to Wren and told her about Giovanni's photoshoot. While she hadn't completely warmed to me and was still a little defensive, I was working on winning her over.

Pizza. Wine. Art supplies. Everything she could want. I leave them by her door as little surprises. I knew it would take a while to earn her trust back, but I was nothing if not determined. There was something about her that kept drawing me in. I couldn't shake her. I needed her trust and forgiveness like I needed air.

I'd stopped barging into her apartment unwanted because aside from the fact she was always in various states of undress, I didn't think my heart could take much more. My ribs were hurting from the hammering my heart gave them every time I saw her.

I was making good on our and bet cleaning the pool. Not that it needed it. She had a regular pool cleaner come to the house, ensuring the water was clean and the pH balance was maintained.

I half expected her to come and sit in a sun lounge and order me around while I was doing it, but she was nowhere to be seen. Disappointment flooded me. I wanted to see her. I was pathetic. My days were spent hoping to catch a glimpse of her, hoping she'd find a reason to come into the main house, or I could think of a reason to go and see her. I was running out of ideas. There were only so many times I could ask where something was or if she knew of any great places to order takeout. Her response was always Joe's.

I finished cleaning the pool and stored the supplies and equipment in the pool shed before going to the pool house to tell her I held up my end of the bargain, but she didn't answer when I knocked.

I headed back inside for shower figuring Wren had gone out and I'd catch up with her later. I didn't have any clean shirts so I went the laundry to grabbed the stuff I'd washed earlier in the morning. The machine was running and there was a basket full of wet clothes. I frowned. There was an extra load of washing in the machine that wasn't mine and a basket in the corner of the room overflowing.

Wren.

She had her own laundry in the pool house, why was she washing her stuff in here? And where was she?

I grabbed a clean shirt and went in search of her. I checked the garage and front of the house. She wasn't there. She wasn't by the pool, or in the shed. I ignored my self-imposed rule and burst through the French doors of the pool house, but she wasn't there either.

There was only one other place she could be on the property, and the thought sent a thrill through my body, a shiver up my spine. I darted back through the house and raced down the stairs, only pausing to catch my breath once I reached the bottom.

Pressing my ear against the door, the soft beat of the bass vibrated against the timber. She was listening to pop music. I smiled and pushed the door open slowly, careful not to make a sound. I just wanted a peek. To make sure she was really in there and hadn't left the music on.

At least, that's what I told myself.

Peering through the crack in the door, I couldn't see her, so I opened it wider and stepped inside. My breath halted and my heart stuttered in my chest. Pretty sure I'd never see anything hotter.

My eyes traveled from the silver stiletto heels on her feet, up her legs wrapped around the pole and caught on the white t-shirt she was wearing. The black logo on the back looking remarkably familiar.

My shirt.

I moved further into the room, mesmerized with the way she moved. Her hips swaying to the beat, her legs twisting and twirling around the pole, the strength of her arms as she raised and lowered herself. It was so fucking hot. My mouth was dry, but I was pretty sure I couldn't form a coherent sentence even if I tried.

Realizing I was there, Wren lowered her feet to the ground. "You're making a habit of creeping up on me when I'm working out." She placed her hands on her hips and arched an eyebrow.

"You going to make a habit of wearing my clothes?"

Wren glanced downs and folded her arms across her body self-consciously. "I spilled ice-cream on my top."

I chuckled, but quickly stopped myself at the look on her face. "And you thought you'd wear my shirt?"

"I didn't have anything else. It was this or...I'll go change." She leaned down and picked up her bottle of, moving past me.

I grabbed her wrist and she stopped. "Don't."

A gasp escaped her lips and her eyes met mine.

"I kind of like it."

"Good. Because it was this or nothing." She smirked.

I choked air. "On second thoughts."

"Pig."

I laughed.

"So was there a reason you came down here?"

"Looking for you. I cleaned the pool." I grinned, shoving my hands in my pockets and rocking on my feet.

"Shouldn't you be packing?"

I barked out a laugh. "You're kidding right? You have no clothes and want to know if I'm packing?"

"I'll can pack in five minutes. If not, I think I can pull off your shirts."

"You pull off my shirts, pants, shoes. Whatever the hell you want."

Wren scoffed. "You wish." And then she walked out of the basement leaving me staring after her.