Chapter 6

With a shaky breath, Dream put his fingers to the keys and began to play. The familiar chords of the first song he learnt filled the room, nostalgic and beautiful. The rolling arpeggios complimented the strong bass, the wistful melody longing for times gone by. Playing this, Dream thought of everything that he had gone through. He thought of when he left his family in Florida because he was too ashamed to see them. He thought of when he tried to run from Techno because he was too embarrassed to have him see him. He thought of all the times he had hurt himself while playing the piano because he was too stubborn to stop and take a break. Finally, he thought of the piano teacher telling him how he would never amount to anything. And he smiled because she had been wrong.

At the same time, Techno was drifting out, listening to the beautiful playing. He dreamt of himself in a meadow, birds chirping, flowers surrounding him. He realised that this was the meadow he thought of while listening to Nuvole Bianche in the mall. But when he turned to his right, he saw Dream next to him. Before, he had been running around, trying to find him, but now, he didn't need to run. He had found what he was looking for. And he smiled, because he was happy.

The final chords of the song echoed in the room, making them all the more melancholy. As the last notes of the piece faded into silence, Dream and Techno looked at each other, longing in their eyes. They had both been searching so long for what they wanted, what they needed, and they had found each other. Dream showed Techno how to get over his fear of performance, of not wanting to mess up in front of everyone. And soon, Techno would show Dream how to let himself rest, to not be pushing to improve every waking hour of the day.

Looking at each other, Dream chuckled.

"What's funny? Did I miss a joke or something," Techno asked him.

"Hah, no, it's nothing." Dream responded, trying to stifle his chuckles.

"Right, because people randomly laugh when looking at their lover~" Techno teased.

"It's just that I remembered the name of the piece I just played. I couldn't remember it for the life of me for so many years, but I just did. You know, it describes me when I'm with you," Dream explained.

"So, what is it called?"

"I'm Feeling Lovely~"

The End