Chapter 53: The diagnosis

Pov Rachel

I felt numb sitting in the office listening to the doctor. She was my world, she didn't deserve this. She had just tuned 30, I held her hand and I could tell she was listening but I could not anymore.

"I get it, I know what she has so how do we get rid of it" I said cutting the doctor off and Emma looked at me shocked.

"Ma'am we will do everything but a surgery is necessary to treat Stage 1B Ovarian Cancer" she said and just the word cancer hit my chest hard.
"Ok" Emma said
"So we can schedule that whenever but it needs to be soon so your ovary doesn't burst exposing your body to the cancer" Dr Alice said.
"When is the soonest you can do?" I asked
"In 4 days on Thursday" the doctor said
"Ok" Emma said pulling out her phone and then bending over in pain.

She had done this a lot over the last week. It was getting worse I could tell, but she never said anything didn't complain. She ran herself to the ground in the last week doing everything for the kids.

Libby cried every night, Emma would lay in bed with her. She was really the only one old enough to really get what was happening to Emma. Emmie just knew she was sick.

We scheduled Emma's surgery and then we left. I left my hand in her lap, we pulled into the driveway and she got out and went into the house.

She had lost a bit of weight I could tell, she was tired and always peeing. I walked in the house and she was bent over at the table.
"Baby you okay" I asked rushing to her side
"I'm fine just a little pain" she said and I stood her up and wrapped my arms around her.
"I love you so much" I said as a tear rolled down my cheek.
"I love you too" she said back laying her head down on my shoulder.

we stood there for a few moments in silence,
"Baby I'm scared" she said and it broke me,
"Me too" I said hugging her tighter.

Libby would be home in about an hour and we would sit her down and tell her what's happening. Libby walked in the house, Emma was laying on the couch reading a book and I was in the kitchen. Hananh and Kylie were picking up Cam when they picked up River in an hour.

"Hey love bug" I said when she walked in
"Hey" she said I could tell she was scared. She was struggling cause she was terrified for Emma but her gf was in pain at home because of her surgery.

She dropped her stuff and walked into the living room and laid down with emma with her back to emma's chest. Emma wrapped her arms around her and played with Libby's wavy blonde hair.
"It's going to be okay" Emma said, "And it's okay to be scared, but it's going to be okay"
I came into the living room and sat down.
"Love bug, Mom is going to have surgery on friday and she will probably be in the hospital for 2-5 days so you will stay with Oakley, Cam and Lj will stay with Kylie and Hannah and Emmie will be with Madison." Rachel said and Libby nodded.

*day of the surgery*

She laid in bed and I would drive her to the hospital around 11:00am. Libby stayed home and she was going to come because she wasn't going to be able to focus at all.
I was cleaning some dishes when Libby came down stairs, it was obvious she had cried.
"Come here love bug" I said putting out my arms to hug her. She hugged me and I pulled her close,
"I'm so scared" she said with her words breaking and getting caught in her throat.
"Me too, me too. But we have to be strong for Mom" I said rubbing her back.

I got up and walked into the bedroom where Emma was still fast asleep. I kissed her cheek.
"Baby you have to get up" I said rubbing her arm.
She groaned and nodded, she opened her emerald eyes and looked at me.