Promises

Lea’s POV

I don’t think I’ll ever get used to this whole idea of having to be an adult now that Jason and I are on our own. I’ll never grow accustomed to paying bills, scheduling my own doctor and dentist appointments or actually wondering if the daily mail might be for me. I had two years left to worry about all that so at the time, I let my parents do all the dirty work. However, things have changed but I don’t believe I’ll learn to love it.

But loving Jason was and will always be worth this drastic change in my life. Currently, we were playing goldfish in the living room of our luxury apartment out in the Keys. We choose to remain in Florida for a while longer until Jason could figure out a state better suited for us and will make life less stressful once I turn eighteen. As of now, we were careful with the load of money Jason had left from his days of running his cocaine business. The money was big but we both were aware it wouldn’t last forever, so we made the most of the time we had left of being rich.

“How did you go from three cards to one?” I peered at his hand suspiciously. “You’re cheating again oh my gosh Jason!”

“No I’m not.” He chuckled, giving me that left cornered dreamy smile I loved dearly.

I rolled my eyes and studied my final four cards carefully. I knew Jason must have removed two of his own cards and furtively stowed it into his deck of matches while I was contemplating which card to ask for. He had a tendency to do that once he lost three times in a row. For now, I’d let him get away with it for the sake of him having at least one win to brag about.

It’s been a month since Jason and I choose to run off the night of my junior prom. A magical night that was and I remember it vividly as though it happened last night. Jason’s tuxedo, the bouquet of white roses--that Lana has made sure to keep blooming now that I’m gone--Kira and Brody’s funny dance moves, the music, the lights and Jason’s words to me. I could recite them perfectly like my favorite verse in a song, I knew all his pauses and the moments where he’d smile as more words came to mind and poured past his lips.

We spent the night at a hotel and we talked until Jason finally fell asleep and I was left with the opportunity to watch him in his state of serendipity. Eventually, I fell asleep too and the next morning I awoke to Jason speaking on the phone with Ace. Breaking the news to everyone that we chose to run away hadn’t been easy, especially for Lana who refused to speak to me for a week after discovering none of her pleas would alter my decision. Ace and Brody weren’t all too fond of our choice either but they knew there was no changing our mind. They knew that Jason and I would never be happy if we stayed where we were any longer. Things were growing far too complicated for us so, in the end, it’s better this way.

After our night at the hotel--and after Jason’s successful attempt of putting a few condoms to good use--we made our way to The Keys and have been going about life one day at time. As of right now, I have no complaints whatsoever about our circumstances. Everything is as perfect as I wish it to be in the upcoming days, weeks, months and years.

Jason grabbed the cards from the couch and shuffled them all into one pile, snatching me out of my day dream and laughing once my jaw dropped in utter shock. He took the cards from my hand and added them to the pile as well, which he then stood to place them on the mantle above the fake installment of a fireplace at the opposite end of the living room.