Chapter One

Arabella dug her feet further into the sand as the cool waves lapped at her ankles. The salty air whipped loose tendrils of hair into her face. She tilted her head back, sighing as the sun's rays warmed her skin.

She had been hiding in her secluded cove for the better part of the afternoon and as the sun began to sink into the ocean, she knew it was time to return home. Five more minutes wouldn't hurt. After all, she was in for a tongue lashing from her mother as it was. No, five more minutes wouldn't make any difference.

The five minutes Arabella had granted herself turned into ten, then thirty, then an hour. When the last of the pink faded from the evening sky and all that was left were shades of blue, Arabella swore under her breath and turned back towards the city. Clutching her slippers in one hand and gathering up her loose trousers in the other, she trudged through the deep sand until she reached the edge of trees surrounding her hidden retreat.

Back on firm earth, she picked up speed as she dashed through the thick woods, darting here and there to avoid the thickest of the underbrush. With the practiced stride of one familiar with such terrain, she navigated a path through the forest that only she knew. Arabella had been sneaking away to the beach for years now. It was her thinking spot, her screaming spot, her quiet reading and resting spot, her sanctuary.

The trees and underbrush thinned and soon Arabella emerged onto a packed dirt path that wound through the woods and into the southeast side of the city. Arabella's pace didn't slow, her small, calloused feet pounded along the dirt track. The path soon widened into a road with flat stones laid almost haphazardly into the earth. Small clusters of huts began to line the road, growing more frequent and closer together as Arabella sped along. The uneven, crooked stones gradually became regular, patterned pave stones, spaced evenly and carefully as the road widened even further into a main thoroughfare. The small huts were replaced with larger brick houses and then businesses, market stalls, inns, brothels, and warehouses crowded the street. The night vendors were out hawking their wares as ladies of the night strutted down the streets, looking to catch the eye of a lonely seaman come ashore for the night.

Arabella cursed again as she dodged around merchants carts sitting in the middle of the streets or slow moving couples, swaying as they walked home arm in arm. She shouldn't have spent so much time at the cove but she couldn't stand the thought of going home any earlier. Her pace slackened severely as she struggled to navigate the increasing nighttime crowds. Mother would have her hide if she knew Arabella had come home by way of the city square.

A merchant's cart rolled in front of her path and Arabella stopped short as the rotund trader manning the cart struggled to move it out of the thoroughfare. She edged around the cart, a small throng of people collecting around her as the cart slowly moved out of the way. She caught bits of conversation among the crowd, until one particular sentence caught her attention.

"Heard the Monty's shipment got taken again."

Arabella paused, letting the other people in the crowd push past her. A tall, burly man pushed past her, roughly knocking his arm against her shoulder.

"They'll bankrupt soon, the way the pirates have been picking them off." The man that bumped into Arabella spoke to his companion, not even glancing at the girl he practically ran over.

His short stocky friend snorted, "Picked off. Not likely, mate. The pirates are targeting them."

The men's voices faded as they turned towards a tavern on the opposite side of the street. Arabella shook her head and started down the now cleared main road, lost in her thoughts.

Soon enough Arabella spotted the side street she needed and darted out of the main road. She breathed a sigh of relief and slowed to a leisurely walk as she made her way down the row of tall, stately houses. A few gentlemen in their evening capes tipped their hats as she walked primly, ducking her head in the expected acknowledgement. She paused in front of a blue three story home and stared up at it, eyes landing on the widow's walk above the attic gable. Resting her hand on the white picket gate in front of the walk, she returned her slippers to her feet, wincing as her pinched toes acclimated to the fit.

With a sigh she opened the gate and slipped into the front garden, easing it shut again with a faint click. So far so good. She willed herself to walk slowly and demurely up the front steps, trying her best to keep her breathing in check.

The door swung open revealing a tall, broad shouldered man. He ushered Arabella into the house, swiftly closing the door behind them.

"You're late, Miss Arabella. The Mistress has been out of her mind for the better part of the evening." His low voice was laced with worry.

Arabella rolled her eyes as she moved further into the house. "Don't fret, Terrance. I'll handle her. I just needed some space."

"I hope you found what you needed." Terrence paused, pursing his lips. "I don't think you'll have much opportunity for 'space' after this." His voice trailed off as crisp steps sounded on the pristine floors.

Before Arabella had a chance to question him further, a perfectly dressed and coiffed lady swept into the room, her long skirt swishing about her and heels clicking on the floor.

"Thank you, Terrence. You are excused for the evening." Arabella's mother barely glanced at the butler as she dismissed him.

Terrence bowed low as he backed out of the foyer. "Of course, Mistress Lucretia. Have a good evening." As he stood, he caught Arabella's eye and frowned slightly, shaking his head just enough for Arabella to see.

Arabella glanced back to see her mother leveling a stare at her. The two waited, motionless and silent, until the sound of Terrence's footsteps faded away.

"Good evening, Mother." Arabella bowed a shallow curtsy, trying her best to keep her knees together and hope Lucretia didn't notice that she was wearing trousers and not a skirt.

"Arabella." Lucretia's words cut the silence, sharp and unforgiving. "Where have you been? No note, no word from the staff, nothing! I had no idea-"

"At Libba's, Mother." Arabella cut her off quickly, hoping to head off a long lecture.

"You were at Libba's this whole day?" Lucretia's eyes were hard as she searched Arabella's face.

"We were talking about the upcoming Maritime Ball and looking at sketches of dresses, and - Oh! Mother, did you know that Celesta has a new dress design? Of course no one has ordered it yet and technically the design hasn't been released yet, but you know Libba -"

Lucretia held up a hand to stop the onslaught of information Arabella was throwing at her. Eyes and voice softening, her shoulders slumped slightly. "Do you know how worried I was? I sent Terrence to the pier three times this afternoon, and to Samuel's office five! Sophie was near beside herself with worry and, and..." Her voice trailed into a bare whisper, "your father..." Lucretia broke off sniffling and shook an embroidered silk square from her long sleeve, dabbing her suddenly weepy eyes.

Arabella hung her head. She may not enjoy being stuck inside a stuffy house learning etiquette and other boring lady tasks, but she did love her mother. She stepped forward tentatively and hugged her arms about her mother's waist, laying her head on her chest. Lucretia was a tall, stately woman, and with heels on she towered above her slight daughter. Lucretia froze momentarily, then wrapped her arms around her daughter's shoulders and stroked her windswept hair.

"I'm sorry, Mama, truly. I lost track of time."

Lucretia sniffed once more then chuckled softly as her fingers tangled in Arabella's messy hair. "I can tell. You must have fairly flown home to get such ratty tangles!" She carefully extracted her fingers from Arabella's mane and took her hand, squeezing gently. "Come, let's brush this out and you can tell me all about Celesta's new design. You've never shown interest in the Maritime Ball before, Arabella. I'm so pleased you are finally taking your station seriously! Mayhaps we could even visit the Completer tomorrow."

Arabella sighed as her mother pulled her towards her rooms. Another lecture and full-on tears avoided, but at what price? At least Celesta's design really was breathtaking...

Word Count: 1,450