Chapter Three

Caspian leaned further out over the choppy blue waters, grasping a line of rigging to steady himself. The lookout in the crow's nest bellowed down to the sailors on deck.

"Ship ahoy! Dead in the water, bare poles. Sou' by sou'west." Each of the sailor's rushed announcements was accompanied by a long pause as he inspected the stationary ship.

Caspian squinted as he stared to the horizon where the lookout indicated the new ship. "Does she fly colors?" his deep voice boomed up over the deck.

"Nay, sir. She looks totally stripped. No signs of life yet."

Caspian rubbed his chin, the coarse stubble scratching against his calloused hand. "Keep watch. Report to the second lieutenant at the next watch."

"Aye, Cap'n."

Caspian took one last look at the ship as they approached, then dropped to the deck. With a sharp wave of his hand, he beckoned his first lieutenant to follow him. "Take the helm, Mr. Chancey." The second lieutenant nodded in acknowledgement and immediately turned to take his place behind the massive ship's wheel on the upper deck.

Caspian clasped his hands behind his back as he strode off in the direction of the Captain's Quarters. His white linen shirt billowed in the sea wind until he stepped into the alcove housing the door. The lieutenant who had been on Caspian's heels reached in front of his Captain and pushed the door inward, holding it ajar with his arm. Caspian nodded to his second-in-command and swept into his cabin.

The lieutenant followed Caspian into the dim room and shut the door securely behind them. The roar of the wind quieted to a keening moan as it whistled around the ship. Caspian untied the cord from around his long hair and roughly ran his fingers through the dark locks.

"What say you, Archer? Our quarry?" The captain flopped into a wooden chair that sat adjacent a writing desk, his legs sprawling undignified in front of him.

Archer tapped his chin, eyes swirling with theories. "Mayhaps. 'Tis the right heading for our last lead. But victim or foe? Do they hide their colors or have they been stripped and scuttled?"

"Aye." Caspian's head dropped back as he stared at the ceiling. "That is the question. We will know soon enough, I suppose."

"And what if it be a trap, Lord?"

Caspian's eyes glinted as he leveled his head to stare at the lieutenant. "Then our search may be nearing its end. We must be on the alert regardless. This desolate ship may mean nothing, or everything."

"The wind blows strong, but we are still a fair distance. We should approach by nightfall."

"Without this distraction, what is our estimated arrival at the island?"

Archer stepped forward to Caspian's desk and pointed to a large map spread across the surface. He indicated two spots. "The helmsman placed us here last night at dusk, and here at first light. I would expect us to sight land at any time. Indeed I rather hoped to hear the ahoy by the dinner bell."

Caspian chuckled, "Do you ever tell time by anything besides a mealtime?"

"Not if I can help it." Archer patted his stomach and winked at Caspian. "The ship the boy spotted today is within our course to landfall. If it be truly deserted, we can tarry for a two-hour watch and be on. Our arrival will still be on time and we can investigate as planned."

"And if the ship is not deserted..." Caspian's voice trailed off.

"Then we may find more answers to aid our goal." Archer finished his captain's thought. "I say 'tis worth the time. We have little to lose and much to gain."