Chapter 9

School resumed in January, and the snow from December started to melt away. When I got to West Creek the morning of January 3, I expected things to be average, but that was definitely not the case. I walked into the building to hear the sound of laughter and snickers, probably revolving around me. Suddenly, a tall, muscular guy stood in front of me and I calmly stopped just before him. 

"Something you need?" I asked casually.

"Little Goth kid speaks. You guys better run away if you want your lives," he turned to the crowd around us and everybody started laughing. My face remained with no expression, because I was truly not amused.

"Look, if you don't want anything from me, just get out of my way."

"Where's that lame boyfriend of yours? Did you tie him up in your Goth chamber?" Everybody in the crowd erupted into laughter again, and I was getting really worked up, but I still tried to hold it in.

"I'm not Goth, sorry to disappoint you, and Greg’s not my boyfriend," I sneered at the guy.

"Alright, fine, kid with the suckish taste in music--" he didn't even finish his sentence as I lunged toward him and slammed my fist into his right cheek. He fell backwards, and then rubbed his cheek. A group of other guys rushed over and tried to help. I stood there with my fist still clenched, breathing heavily. 

"Stay away from me, you little monster. Honestly, you're really strong for your size, but you're still a huge freak!" the guy whined. I scoffed at how weak he actually was. Just then, Vice Principal Caufield pushed through the crowd of students and said with a surprised expression, "What is going on here? Will someone please tell me?"

"She went pyscho and punched me! I didn't do anything!" he said, still covering his face. 

"Mr. Caufield, he was saying stuff about me first," I addressed him calmly, "and I would consider what he said as an act of bullying." 

"But that is no reason to be waving fists around. Come with me," the principal said sternly. I sighed angrily and followed. Behind me, I heard stifled laughter, but Mr. Caufield did nothing to stop them. In the corner of my eye, I saw Greg; he seemed to have expected me to act that way. He knew me well enough not to say that kind of stuff. I kind of feel bad for the guy now. I overreacted...again. 

Mr. Caufield was surprisingly nice while lecturing me in his office. He told me he still had to call home, and left with nothing else to do, I simply nodded and sat back in the chair. After a long, boring lecture, Mr. Caufield sent me back to class with a tardy pass. It was the middle of first period. I was reluctant to go to class. It would be awkward walking in, and the school probably already heard about this morning's incident. Just great. I quickly gathered my books and decided not to be any tardier...not like it made much of a difference.

When I walked into class everybody turned to each other and started to whisper until the teacher hushed them firmly. I gave him my tardy pass, excusing me from being late, and he told me to sit in my seat. I awkwardly walked down the aisle of desks as everybody glared at me. I waved a subtle "hi" to Greg and he smiled back. Always on my side. I sat down and half-pretended to take notes and listen as I heard the clock tick...tick...

School was dreadful that day. I was the center of attention (and not the good kind) whenever I walked out of a classroom. I did not speak to Greg for the first few classes but I gave him a quick hug and hoped he understood. I walked as fast as I could as fingers pointed and whispers filled my ears. I was not the kind of person to fall apart so quickly when faced with these things, but honestly, it was beginning to feel pretty painful.

I told Greg and Geoffrey everything at lunch. They comforted me and assured me everything was going to be alright...except for the fact that I have detention. I can't avoid that. I was disappointed in myself. I don't want my mother feeling the same when I get home. During recess Geoffrey offered to give Greg and I some space and he went to hang out with some other friends. We hid under the bleachers; Greg looked at me thoughtfully, and then embraced me as I sulked. A small smile formed upon my face, and he pulled me into his lap.

He leaned my head back and told me in a soft voice, "Play the music in your head and lose yourself. I got you."

And that I did...

The roaring sound of the school bell filled my ears, and I jumped up. I stood up along with Greg and emerged out of the bleachers but was stopped by a massive group of students. Oh, great.

"We saw that, Miss Gothica. You were all over Greg, like an animal or something. Disgusting. Can't you just leave our school, you freak. Bring your freakish personality with you as well. We don't need that sulking around," Ali sneered.

"What'd I ever do to any of you?" I demanded.

"Oh, poor thing doesn't know," a random girl said to the crowd.

"I don't even know half of you," I said.

"Leave her alone, Ali. You have been bullying everybody for years and nobody has taken any action against that, and that makes me sick. You're saying all this for nothing, wasting your breath. You wouldn't know how brilliant she is because you haven't been with her for a long time. She's the best person I know, and you think you are, but you're just a snobby little bitch," Greg defended.

Woah. Greg has never cussed before. "Greg, you didn't have to--" I was cut off.

"Aw, Greggy, you didn't have to," Ali mocked. "How sweet. Terrance, you better shut your mouth or I will beat you up again like I did many times before," Ali continued.

"Shut your mouth, Ali. You're nothing but trouble. Just shut up," she was pulling my last string. I took Greg by the wrist and began to storm away.

"Ali--just, get out of my way. I need to get to class." I stopped myself from saying something really offensive, as I did not need anymore trouble crawling up my back.

I was being so selfish. I'm causing my mom trouble too. She would become so involved and have to attend "meetings", and this and that. I turned to Greg and grinned.

"You didn't have to do that." I said.

"Yes, I did. That's what friends do. She's seriously bullying you...are you sure you don't want to talk to someone about it?"

"No way, not in this lifetime. I would be such a troublemaker," I walked to class and paid no attention to anyone else.

Classes were over, and everyone was rushing to get home. I trotted slowly, however, not in a rush at all. I pushed people out of my way and just packed up and left. Greg caught up with me and I told him that I had to get home today because of this morning's incident. He understood completely and wished me luck. We walked out together, and I was expecting a ride home from my mother today. He waved good-bye and I waved back as I stood there in the front of the school; students were probably talking about me, but I heard nothing over the blast of my music. 

A few minutes later, I saw my mother's car pull up to the front of West Creek. I quickly put my music away and stepped into the car, waiting for the long and depressing lecture. 

"Mom, I just want to say sorry before you yell at me. I am honestly disappointed in myself, and I shouldn't have overreacted," I explained sincerely.

"I am not going to yell at you, honey. This has happened before. And do you remember what I had said?"

"Yeah, Mom."

"Just take those words into consideration, okay?"

"Okay," I looked down at my jeans as she drove away.